About this same time last summer, I posted to LMNET asking for advice about
changing jobs. I went from a K-2 Elementary School Librarian to a Reference
Librarian at a local public library. I received some excellent advice and
encouragement from many fellow LMnetters, which helped me make the transition to my
new job go very smoothly. (*THANK YOU*)   :)

Well, this year, I find myself in the same position of changing library jobs, so
once again I am looking to Those Who Know for wise counsel.  A unique opportunity
has come up at a nearby school of arts, so I have decided to leave theschool
librarianship.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the public library, and I have
gained many new skills during my time there. However, my personal strengths and
career goals keep pulling me back to the school library field.

Because this new job is unlike any I have experienced, I am hoping to get some
advice from librarians who have had similar jobs or have any helpful advice to
offer in my situation. This residential school is made up of about 100 11th and
12th graders who are focusing their high school studies in the fields of music,
dance, drama, or art.  The mission statement of the school is "to provide advanced
programs of study in music, theatre, visual arts, dance, literary arts, and media
arts for artistically gifted students from districts across the state."

I will primarily be in charge of the library, the computer lab, and overseeing some
distant learning classes.  I will also be getting my CDL license because I will be
driving a school van or small bus to field trips and to the local public school
(since the students take some of their core classes there.) The school has both IBM
and MAC computers, so I will be in unchartered territory facing the MACS.

I am so excited about this opportunity, and I would like to be as prepared as
possible on the first day of school.  So, if anybody out there has any advice
whatsoever, I would love to hear from you.

PS:  If anyone is looking for a library position in my area, we have my REF job
open and an assistant director job opening! :)

Melissa Moak, Reference Librarian
Pike-Amite-Walthall County Library System
McComb, MS
wholovesbooks@yahoo.com
2rebels@bellsouth.net