Greetings!

Thanks to all of you who participated in the Library of Congress survey
on Cataloging-in-Publication (CIP) in the summer of 2006. School
libraries made up 35% of the libraries responding! The usefulness of CIP
to libraries (all types) was strongly reaffirmed, and it is certain that
the CIP program will continue!

You will recall that many specific questions were asked about the
usefulness of certain pieces of CIP cataloging information. The survey
data was carefully reviewed by a group of LC experts called the CIP
Review Group (CRG). They made recommendations about what CIP elements
and services should be continued, restored, or eliminated. In making
their recommendations, the CRG had to balance the needs of libraries
against the decreasing budget of the Library of Congress, which makes it
difficult to fill vacant cataloging positions.

The survey results and recommendations are posted at
http://cip.loc.gov/2006cipsurveylist.html .   If the CRG recommendations
are accepted by the LC administration, for juvenile materials we should
eventually start seeing more summaries, juvenile subject headings, and
Dewey numbers. In addition, the confusing "p. cm." line in CIP physical
description may be eliminated, and LC may explore the possibility of
developing a free and user-friendly mechanism for libraries to obtain
CIP MARC records. All of these recommendations address concerns you have
expressed. Your voices have definitely been heard!

Be aware that nothing has actually been decided by the LC management
concerning the CRG's recommendations (many besides these), and that
things tend to move slowly at LC. So it could be some time before we see
results in our CIP cataloging. We didn't get all we asked for-e.g., no
CIP for most nonbook materials or for mass market paperbacks-but CIP
elements important to general juvenile cataloging are among the
recommendations. Again, thanks to all who filled out the survey!

--Marilyn McCroskey, AASL Liaison to the CIP Advisory Group

Marilyn McCroskey

Professor of Library Science

Head of Cataloging, Meyer Library

Missouri State University