Thanks for all of the suggestions....Here is a compilation of responses.

  We use a dummy bar code that just says it is a Collins Elementary Magazine and
affix it to a large manilla envelope, then laminate it and slice through the
laminate so the envelope is a bit sturdier.  Students are allowed on magazine per
check out (they can have 2 items out at a time).  I also put a replacement value of
5.00 in the record, so when the slips are ran, they see they are just as
responsible as they are for books.  I am at a bilingual campus, and have found that
my bilingual students are the ones who want the magazines the most.  I also offer
the same circulation to parents. We still have loss, but it works pretty well.
Most envelopes last the year, then we make new ones.  Good Luck,

We let the kids check them out as if they were books, regular check

out, regular check in. We do put a restriction on some magazines [like

Nintendo Power] for the younger kids, but otherwise they have the

freedom to choose.

I have to admit the only problem is the condition in which they are

returned... You know how kids are, they just throw everything in their

bags and when they return the books and magazines sometimes they tear

pages or wrinkle them. If they lose them or damage them until they are

not reusable, we have a fix price of 8$ for all the magazines.

In our school magazines are popular but students are not wild for them,

so we try not to restrict the kids that want to check out something.

I hope I helped!

Good luck.

  I'm in a Pre/K-3 school.  I use my student-related magazines as incentives in my
Reading Counts (similar to Accelerated Reader) program.  When students reach 50
points in RC, they are allowed to check out a current student magazine overnight.
I have current student magazines in lockable magazine binders and the binder has a
barcode labeled with the name of the magazine and listed as current...like AMERICAN
GIRL (CURRENT).  We've been doing this for the past few years and it's gone well.
Students like being able to check them out.  I've only had two problems...one the
student lost and when we kept showing her the price to replace the binder AND the
magazine she finally brought it back.  We also had another one to just
disappear...so someone took it and didn't check it out.  Kids are always wanting
the stickers, or special inserts and I stress to them that if they bring it to me
and let me be the one to tear something out (if it will not affect the magazine or
comic) I
 will give it to them.  So far this system has worked.  We do not give candy or
toys as prizes for reaching our RC point clubs.  The 50-point level is the first
level we even give an incentive.  At 100 points they get to check out an extra
library book and they enjoy that too.  We only do Reading Counts with our 2nd & 3rd
graders.

  We circulated magazines among our 4th and 5th graders. I assigned a unique number
to each magazine, and I allowed students to check out the mags for the same length
of time as books. It worked.

I am also in a K-5 setting and decided it was ridiculous to spend the

 $$ for magazines rarely read by students (I am on a fixed schedule). I

 barcode and laminate 25 or so large mailing envelopes which have large

 colorful labels that say, "OVERNIGHT CHECKOUT -- RETURN TO MEDIA

 CENTER." Usually, the students keep the magazines a little longer than one

 night but those who really like reading them will show up every day to

 return and select new ones. I have found if they keep them longer than a

 few days I am less likely to get them back -- parents throw them away,

 or the envelope gets lost.

4th and 5th graders begin checking out the magazines as soon as the

 school year begins. I have several lessons about periodicals that 3rd

 graders have to participate in before they can check them out. I have not

 extended this opportunity to the K-2 grades as few are responsible to

 care for them. There are always some exceptions. Also, at the end of the

 school year, the expired titles (I keep the issues 5 years) are given

 to the 2nd graders.

At our elementary school, we have large envelopes that have a barcode

 on the

outside. When a student checks out a magazine, it is placed in the

 envelop

and added to our system as a quick add. It is not a permanent record,

 but

will show up in outstanding items checked out to the student. When the

student returns the magazine and the magazine is checked into the

 system,

the quick add record is deleted from the system.

  This is what I did this year.  It was my first year and the school had
   all
  the magazines put away from the kids except the current issue that was
   not
  circulated.  They said at the end of the year they gave some to
   teachers to
  cut up, etc. and the rest had been kept put away. The students never
   had a
  chance to really read even the current ones.  So, I pulled out the last

  couple of years of the popular kid's mags and put bar codes on them,
   and put
  them into the computer.  I changed shelves around so that underneath
   the
  displayed current issues were the stacks of circulating issues.  I
   started
  with grades 2-5 but ended up doing 3-5 since 2nd graders tended to tear
   them
  up.  They were checked out with the same expectations of book care and
  return.  I kept the book limit per grade level and added 1 magazine to
   the
  limit.  They could only check out 1 magazine at a time along with the 2
   or 3
  books (depending upon grade level).

  As far as the computer goes, I made it very simple. I only cataloged
   the
  title part. If it was a magazine such as Highlights, I just put the
   "title"
  Highlights Magazine and used HIGH 6/07 as the call number, so that I
   would
  know which magazine and the month and year it was.  If the child lost
   the
  magazine, I charged $1.00 and then took it out of the computer.  The
   $1.00
  was to encourage responsibility.  If, however, it was a Kid's Discover
   type
  on a particular subject, I put the subject, such as "Water - Magazine"
   as
  the title and then the call number would be KIDS 6/07.  When putting
   them
  into the computer, I put the copy type as Periodical, so that I
   wouldn't
  have to consider it in my overall number of books.  Then, I went in to
   the
  icon part of the system and chose a magazine icon for the periodicals.
    This
  way, when they search a subject, such as "Water", these subject type of

  magazines will display and show that they are magazines instead of
   books,
  which gives students a variety of materials to look through.  (I didn't
   put
  call number shelf labels on since they are stacked by magazine name and
   they
  just looked through the stack to find the issue.)

  Circulation numbers went up tremendously.  Students that didn't like
  to "read" began coming back to check out more magazines and then
   started on
  books that they had seen in the magazines.  Students doing research
   projects
  began utilizing the information in the magazines along with books and
   the
  internet, which added to their bibilographies.  The ones that came back

  tattered were stapled and taped and put back out since these are
   usually the
  favorite ones.  I'm not picky about the shape the magazine is in since
   the
  students want them.  Some of the ones that had 3-D glasses in them, I
   put
  the old card catalog envelope on another page and slipped them in so
   they
  wouldn't get lost.  The ones with sports cards or bookmarks, I took
   them out
  and used them as free bookmarks until they were gone.  All in all, it
   was a
  GREAT use of the magazines, and I will continue to do it this year.
    Hope
  this helps!

  Both my son's library and the elementary library I interned at (both K-4) use the
large gallon sized plastic ziploc style baggies.  New magazines are not allowed to
circulate until the next month's issue comes in.  The kids get really excited to be
the ones to "remind" the librarian or the assistant that the new issue is in.  Bar
codes are placed on the baggies and the magazines are placed in the baggies.  Those
barcodes scan as "uncataloged materials" in AThena and the person doing check-out
simply types in the initials for the magazine and the issue date (which they've
written in short form on a sticker on the front of the magazine, like (Nick 1/05
for Nickelodeon's January 05 issue).  At both schools, only 3rd and 4th graders are
allowed to check out magazines.  4th graders are allowed to check out 4 items
altogether--3 books and 1 magazine (if they want a magazine) or4 books.  3rd
graders check out 3 books and only start checking out magazines the 2nd half of the
 year.  It worked very well and there was no issue with getting the magazines back.
 I was always surprised that they came back in the baggie.  What surprised me even
more was that magazines with things like 3-d glasses in them circulated with the
glasses in the bag, and most of the time, the glasses came back as well.  The
magazines are very popular in both these schools and it's a big deal when they are
finally allowed to check them out.  Good luck!

  I allow check out of magazines from 2-6.  I have two pocket folders that they go
in to help protect them and to identify that they come back to the Library.  The
folders have LIBRARY in bold black marker printed on them.  The magazines are
barcoded and have a date due slip just like my books.  I can honestly say that we
don't lose too many during the year.  If a student does lose one, I charge them
$2.00 and once that is paid, they may check out another item.

  I bought Crystal Shield magazine covers (available from any library supply
vendor), put a barcode and protector on each cover, and checked out magazines using
them.  When a kid brings a magazine to the desk to check it out, I slip it in the
cover, scan the barcode on the cover, enter the name and date of the magazine, and
off they go.  I make magazines due in one day also, but I don't put fines on them
until they are over a week late.

  Another thought is, if you loose a few magazines, so what?  They aren't used for
reference at your age level very much.  If you buy expensive covers, and you start
losing covers and magazines, that would be a concern.  Crystal Shield covers are
really cheap compared to "real" magazine covers.

  Some people recommend checking mags out in manila envelopes, but I think
envelopes defeat the purpose by making the magazines unattractive and hard to get
to.  And I bet the kids separate the mags from the envelopes, and don't get the
envelopes back in in many cases.

  Checking out magazines is a GREAT idea.  They are worth the trouble.

  Here is how it works at my K-4 library....After I do a magazine lesson in first
grade, students are allowed to check out a magazine just like a book.  The lesson
includes a show and tell of all our magazines, proper care for magazines and check
out procedure.  All magazines can be check out for one week and I don't hold the
most recent edition.  That was the procedure before I became librarian and the kids
didn't seem to "get it".  So I changed that aspect and as soon as a magazine
arrives, I put it on display.  Our magazines are not barcoded.  We put barcodes on
laminated manila envelopes.  The envelope is checked out as a "temporary barcode"
with the magazine title put in as "title" and then the magazine goes home in the
envelope.  Occasionally, we get one back without the other, but for the most part
it works.  The envelope helps to  protect the magazine in backpacks, too.  I hope
this helps!  Good luck.

  We  place our older magazines (3 mo old - 2 years old) in these plastic binders
which you can purchase from Walmart for about $1 each.  Put a barcode on the
binder.  When you get ready to check one out, scan it and it will come up as a
temporary.  Then type the name of the magazine in the field.  When it is brought
back, the temp barcode is erased and you can reuse.  Considering how many have been
checked out vs how many have been lost, it is worth it to check them out.

We have a bunch of those plastic hanging bags with generic magazine

 barcodes

on them. When a student wants to check out a magazine, we put it in the

 bag.

The magazine material type is set to check out for 3 nights. It's true

 that

if the item is lost, we don't actually have a record of what magazine

 it

was. However, we only keep magazines for a single school year, so we

 don't

worry about their losses too much. In our case, we have been lucky and

rarely lose any.

I'm also in a PK-5 school. I circulate magazines for 3rd-5th (and some

 2nd

graders after Christmas). Here's what I do:

I barcode 4 or 5 folders/big envelopes (per magazine title), write the

 name

of the magazine on the front of the folder, and then laminate them.

 When the

kids want to check out a magazine, they have to grab the appropriate

 folder,

put the corresponding magazine in and then we scan it out to them.

Basically, as far as my circ system goes, the kids are checking out a

folder. I don't keep track of which month's copy they have. I allow

 them to

keep the magazine for 2 days. I think in all of last year we only had 2

 or 3

lost. Not too bad considering I have 600 kids.

I hope this makeWe have a folder with lined pages in it for each magazine.  When a

 child

checks one out, we write his/her name on the next line on that page,

 the

issue # they checked out and the dated they took it.  When it is

 returned,

we just flip to that magazine's page, find the issue and mark off the

child's name.  Periodically, I go through the book and see what's been

 out a

while.  Our circ system allows me to add notes that pop up when a child

checks out.  I just put "owes April 2006 American Girl mag" (or

 whatever),

so we can remind the child.  We try to get them back, but don't charge

 for lost issues.  Repeat offenders loss the privilege of checking out

 magazines

for a while.  That usually inspires them to be more responsible.  It's

 not a

perfect system b/c it takes a little time to write down their name,

 etc.

But, it's the best we've come up with. :)

s sense. If you need me to clarify, please feel free to

I let the 4-5 grades check out mags but for overnight only and they

couldn't (weren't supposed) take them home.  It has worked with varying

degress of success for about 4 years.  Some classes are more

 responsible

than others.  There are some kids who just can't handle the privilege,

others never abuse it.  When I start letting them check out magazines,

sell it just that way.  If you are responsible, you can enjoy the

privilege.  If you're late bringing them back or you loose one, that's

it.

To check out the magazines, I put a barcode on 9x12 clasp envelopes,

 add

a lined document on the front with tape.  When the mag goes out, I

 write

the name of the magazine and the date on the front and check it out

 like

a book.

  I put magazines in inexpensive clear magazine covers from Highsmith or Demco
(about $1.50-1.75 each) and circulate current and back issues for one night only,
as you said you do, for 2nd-5th graders.  I created some plain stickers (30 to a
page size) that say "ONE NIGHT CHECKOUT" which are placed on the front of the
magazine covers, then covered with label protectors.  A generic "Magazine" barcode
is attached to the magazine cover.  I know this isn't ideal, because when a student
has an overdue or lost magazine, I can't identify which magazine it is, but this is
the best I've been able to do so far.  Just finished my second year of circulating
the mags.

  I don't know if this would work as well in an elementary school. I wish that I
had tried it when I did work in an elementary school because I had the same
problems that you have there. But I've been working in a high school and I will
tell you what works here. I don't use the automated system for magazines. I just
sign them out in a notebook. Each page has a column for the person's name, ID
number, magazine name/date, date the item was signed out, and date it is due.

  I also find it easier to cross off an item when it comes back than to locate a
matching card. (it's not hard to find in the notebook when you search for the same
due date).

  The other advantage is that it is fairly easy to use the honor system, letting
people sign their own magazine out.

  I think you should try this for a few weeks and see how it works. You'll probably
find out quickly which students can't be trusted to bring the magazines back and
the

  Here's how we circulate magazines at my elementary school:  we have a ready
supply of large manila envelopes that have a barcode on each of them.  When a
student brings a magazine up to the check out desk, we swipe the barcoded envelope
into our system (Follett).  This prompts a message that the barcode does not exist
and then we can create a temporary record for it.  We then type in a brief note
about the issue.  For example:  Backyard906 (which would be "Your Big Backyard" for
September 2006).  We stamp the date due on a slip that has been glued to the front
cover of the magazine, slip the magazine into the envelope and give it to the
student.  The envelope helps to protect the magazine while it is checked out, too.
 When the magazine comes back, we check it back in, delete the temporary record and
can use the envelope again and again.  One added benefit of this system is that we
can discard old magazines without deleting a catalog record for it.  Hope this
helps.
 Write back if you need any more information.

  I barcode them and students borrow them the same as they would books.  Students
grades 1-5 may borrow one at a time.  We don't lose that many - and it's a standard
charge of $4 if they do.  We laminate the most popular ones with a clear contact
paper.

  I too don't have a system yet for checking out magazines.... I have children who
have forgotten their library books at home and those who check out right away sit
and read magazines until I start my class.  They get plenty of use that way.  Our
director has told us to let them check out the previous year magazines by just
writing down their names in a notebook. If the get lost they get lost . The
magazine is old at that point.

  Yes! We've checked out magazines for years now. The kids love it.

  Our rules:  only back issues, not current issues, and loan period is overnight.

  Create temporary bar code numbers that allow you to enter the title and issue of
the magazine.
  Place the bar labels on the outside of a protective plastic sleeve (I get very
sturdy ones from Highsmith), and you are ready to go!
  When the item is returned and checked in, the temporary title is cleared and the
sleeve/bar code number can be used again.

  All students have the privilege, but mostly 2-5 kids are interested.

  If the sleeve and magazine are lost, I charge $5. If the magazine OR sleeve are
lost, $2.50.

  I created a range of barcodes that I only use for magazines.  I put the barcodes
on inexpensive magazine covers I got from Demco.  When I scan the barcode it comes
up as uncataloged.  I type in the name of the mag and the date (I get the magazine
labels from Ebsco when I subscribe, which have the magazine name and month year.  I
put them on a consistent place on the magazine.  This makes it easy to see exactly
which magazine issue I'm dealing with.  I usually type it in all lowercase also so
it stands out in the child's record as a magazine.  The child's checkout status
shows the magazine checked out just like a book, so when it isn't back, we know
what magazine they are looking for.

Meg Torrens
Library Information Specialist
Palmetto Bays Elementary
Myrtle Beach, SC

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" -Gandalf

Megtorrens@yahoo.com

Building a website is a piece of cake.