Hello all,I am starting in an elementary library this fall and have had a chance to
glance at the current collection.  Overall, it is very good--lots of updated
materials, and of course the classics.  My big concern is over a HUGE collection of
Dan Frontier books.  I had never heard of them.  Does anyone know anything about
them, or have an opinion about them?  I am tempted to weed them (or at least skim
down to one copy of each title since I have 4-5 copies of each).  In looking
through them, they have a great deal of misrepresentation of native americans vs.
white man.  ALL of the native americans are called "Indians" and depicted as
savages as far as I can tell (give or take a few "good" Indians).  In addition,
they are really written like the old Dick and Jane books, or similar to the Hillert
books.  Kids really need to look at the pictures to get the jist of the story.  Not
that Dick and Jane were bad--just a different time period.  What do you think?
Contact me directly and I'll post a hit.
 Ginger Reynolds
Collierville ELementary
Shelby Co. School District
Collierville, TN
wireys@msn.com

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life
as much as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed." Booker
T. Washington
See what you’re getting into…before you go there.
http://newlivehotmail.com