I was shocked to read the union comment in policing our profession.

As a teacher, a certified librarian, and a district union representative I
would feel very uncomfortable deciding which union members I am to
represent fully (because they are the "good teachers") and which union
members I am to let slide (because they are the "bad teachers.") Not every
person in my building agrees with my teaching style, nor do I agree with
the teaching style of each of my colleagues. Who is to say my style is
better than others or vice versa? It is not my job as a teacher or a union
official to determine the quality of teachers.  It is my job to represent
all.

We get into major problems in the education profession when colleagues
start evaluating each others effectiveness. Several years ago when I
taught math, the other grade level math teacher would criticize me when I
allowed the kids to use calculators on difficult problems. I finally told
her that I do not question her teaching style and I do not expect her to
question mine.

Sorry if this is off the general topic of this board, but I had to respond.

Mr. J. Vernacotola
Seventh Grade Teacher
Highland Middle School
jvernacotola@barberton.summit.k12.oh.us

“The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
can't read.” -- Mark Twain

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation." -- Walter Cronkite

School Library Media & Network Communications <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>