Thank you Sam! for saying what some of us have simply  thought about.  I
thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 HP books, but then Harry got whinier and I
noticed - look back at the first 3 as well - that Harry actually seemed to
do very little work or study at Hogwarts and his friends were always
learning the magic for him.  I personally find this a disturbing message for
kids tho perhaps they do not see it.  The last 3 books were overly long and
needed a really good editor.  The hype on the most recent and last book was
too over the top.  I eventually bought the book - the kids at school will
want it and I teach children's lit at Syracuse so I need to read it.  It too
was overly long and repetitive.  However, at least parts of the story and
the wind up of the many story lines was pleasant and "fun".   I am thrilled
that kids began reading more because of these books, but the quality has
really gone downhill and there is better stuff out there, I know!

IMHO

Barbara

Barbara Wall
Teacher-Librarian
Krieger Elementary School
Poughkeepsie, NY

bawall@northnet.org
bwall@poughkeepsieschools.org
"Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose."
Lyndon B. Johnson

minds."  Albert Einstein

" No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."   Eleanor
Roosevelt