Hi,
  I have to agree with Dawn.  My 18-year-old great-niece was visiting from
N. Carolina and almost the 1st words out of her mouth when she arrived were
a lament that she had reserved her copy in NC instead of here in Kansas.  I
told her I'd be picking up my copy on Sat. morning and would get one for her
too.  She was thrilled.  We had a family wedding that day and as I grabbed
both copies (hers and mine so I could read on the way to the wedding and
between the wedding and the reception) my husband asked why I was taking
hers since I'd see her the next day (he's one of those who doesn't get it).
Immediately after the wedding several of us, including my niece and her
sisters, stopped at a Dairy Queen.  The first words out of her mouth were
"did you bring it?" and she got it out of the car.  Her sister grabbed it
from her and immediately turned to the end (I yelled at her from across the
room to stop).  When I next saw them the niece I'd gotten it for had
finished it but she didn't have it because a great-nephew where they were
staying had "bugged" her the whole time she was reading so when she finished
it she gave it to him.  My sister-in-law has called me twice this week to
ask me some questions about it and the previous book.
I too read the 1st book before the hype despite fantasies not typically
being my favorite reads and was mesmerized and couldn't wait to get the next
installment.
Better editing in some of the books, sure, even Rowling admits that, but I
can live with that for a great story and wonderful characters.
Interestingly this week I've been sorting hundreds of new books that have
been donated to our state for our fall workshops and one of the things I
noticed was the huge number of these for middle grades and up through high
school that are fantasies.  I don't know whether they're any good but since
I've done this for a number of years I can say that there are far more
fantasies than in previous years so I'd guess that Harry has provided a
market for this genre.
Joanne Proctor, retired LMS
Topeka, KS
joproctor@cox.net