Thank you to everyone who sent suggestions for using a Smart Board. LM
Net is a remarkable resource and I am always amazed at the generosity
and knowledge of my cyber-colleagues. Here is a compilation of the

--Mary Niedenfuhr
Library-Teacher
Thomas Hughes Elementary School
Berkeley Heights, NJ
mniedenfuhr@bhpsnj.org

I had a SmartBoard in my media center and I used it with k-5 students. I only got
to use it for a year before I relocated, but loved it! The possibilities are
endless for use at all levels. Some ideas that you might want to use are Dewey
Decimal system: putting books in order, catagorizing titles into subject levels
based on Dewey number, same can be done for fiction titles, ABC order, etc. Maps:
creating a map by following directions like "place a tree to the south of the
swingset", treasure hunts if they follow directions correctly, etc.
Dictionary/thesaurus  skills lesson to highlight parts of an entry, and
encyclopedia sorting by topic. Using it with computer applications: keyboarding,
viewing programs at a larger size, demonstrating all of the computer applications
and "spot" testing to see if they can perform tasks. The list can go on and on. If
you can think up an idea, there's a way to use the SmartBoard to get it done.

I would stress the importance of teaching proper care and use before letting the
kids try it and start by letting them all write their names and moving one thing to
a different spot on the board. Once they get the hang of it, they will surprise you
by how good they are at using it.  But, let them use it! You'll find that they are
more attentive to the lesson if they get the chance to use the SmartBoard.

I am the computer teacher as well as the librarian in a K-8 school. I
love being able to carry over library lesson into the computer lab using
the smartboard. I have used it to show students author's web pages, we
used a trail version of kidspiration to create a web using fairytales.
Students at those grades love to be able to use the board themselves,
touching it to make the board work. I use mine in the computer lab to
show student's new websites with games and allow them to show the class
how it worksl. My one suggestion is to not mount it by your door, kids
love to mess with it when they leave, mine is and if I had a choice I
would move itl. Have fun with it, you will love it once you start
playing with it. If I can be of any help please let me know.

************************************************************************I
split my time between 3 schools and I have a Smartboard at 1 and
Interwrite boards at the other two. Until the projector was mounted in
the ceiling I hated using the Smartboard because it required me to stand
in front of it with the projector light BLINDING me. With the projector
mounted I really like it. I especially appreciate the way students are
intriged and are eager to come up and answer by using it. The only
awkward part is the way you have "type" on it with a huge keyboard over
the screen. I generally just walk back to the computer to type something
or ask a student to do it for me.
I have created a number of lessons on Powerpoint for Dewey Decimal, use
of reference sources, Big6 research steps. I also love the way it is so
easy to demonstrate the use of the online catalog.

AND my very favorite is projecting GoogleEarth in order to show the
setting of stories that I read. I used it when I read Flight by Burleigh
and tracked Lindbergh's flight with the ruler tool.

I also used it for:
Henry & the Kite Dragon (Chinatown, NYC)
Mailing May
Humphrey the Lost Whale

The Interwrite is a handheld board that has all the tool that a
Smartboard has, but is cheaper in that it projects to a regular
projection screen or even a wall. It also allows you to move about the
room or even hand it to a child. It is a bit trickier to learn but I use
it with the same lessons.

************************************************************************I've
recently had a smartboard installed and I just love it. It is SO much
easier than having a crowd of kids elbowing each other for space around
a computer screen. I use it for lots of things such as:

*how to use the online catalog

*how to use databases (like SIRS Discoverer and Kids InfoBits)

*how to use search engines

*how to do internet research (difference between .org, .edu, .com ,
keywords, etc)

*following webquests

*using pathfinders

*I like to expose the kids to websites that go along with the stories we
read - like author websites

*and I love having websites available when doing booktalks with kids -
websites that go along with the content or about the author/illustrator

*I like to show websites that support the projects we do (like Heifer
International's Read to Feed website or United Through Reading)

*it's also fun to present library Jeopardy style games on PowerPoint to
work on library skills

*it's easy to design interactive PowerPoint presentations or interactive
lessons using Inspiration

*of course, it’s also a great way to do PowerPoint presentations – you
can include hyperlinks to web content as well as Q & A formats, etc.

*there are lots of interactive game or reading sites that are made
available and interactive with the whole class

And there are lots of other interactive uses that I haven't thought of
yet!!

of the book being displayed. A lot of the books also had games and
quizzes, so after reading the book, I would let 2 or 3 students at a
time come up to the board and play the game that went with the book. Not
that high-tech, I admit, but it did get the kids used to using the
board, and learning how to be careful around it, etc. For some reason,
with kids, they feel like it's more "important" if they get to use the
SmartBoard.

*************************************************************************************************************My
 good friend is a librarian who now works for Smart

Board as a consultant and trainer. I am copying her on this email so

that she might get in touch with you. Although Illinois is not her

territory, she can probably hook you up with someone who has that area.

She is a real expert and innovator in using the Smart Board in

instruction.

I use a Smart Board all the time for younger grades.  I use the

subscription-based "Brainpop Jr." with my students in grades K-3.

I also use numerous other programs from the web. Here is a link to my

bookmarked site of Smart Board sites:

http://www.ikeepbookmarks.com/browse.asp?folder=1835380. I especially enjoy

Poisson Rouge for Kindergartners.

You can find two great educational games that may be used with a SmartBoard at
www.librarygames.net <http://www.librarygames.net> ( http://www.librarygames.net/ )
 Since kids love the games, they would make a fun demonstration for an
administrator to see.

Smarttech.com has a ton of resources--they make the boards. Go the educators page,
then find Resources for Educators.  The lessons are divided by grade level and
subject.