I have two questions about organization for those of you who opt to collect
biographies into a separate section (i.e., you do not intersperse
biographies throughout the main Dewey section in the relevant subject area,
such that sports biographies are in the 700s, scientist biographies are in
the 500s/600s, etc.)

Most libraries with separate biography sections I have seen use either "B"
or "920" as the basic call number and then use the first three letters of
the biographical subject's name (e.g., B DAR or 920 DAR for biographies of
Darwin -- so all Darwin biographies appear together on the shelf).

1)  How many of you use the first three letters of the AUTHOR'S name in the
call number?  (e.g., 920 MIT for Pratima Mitchell's biography of Gandhi)

2)  How many of you label and organize your separate biography section NOT
by "B" or "920" -- but in Dewey subject order?  (e.g., Mandela under 322 or
968, and Matisse under 759)  If you do, do you then use the first three
letters of the author's name in the call number?  Or do any of you use Dewey
order AND the first three letters of the biographical subject's name?

Just curious as I'm proposing that our primary library create a separate
biography section for those 5th and 6th graders who every year study the
genre -- and our secondary library has a "true life" (biography) section
which is separate and in Dewey subject order with the author's first three
letters used in the call number.  (Even in their 920 section the biographies
use the author's first three letters in the call number -- not the first
three letters of the biographical subject's name -- something I find
unusual.)

I'll post a hit if I get enough responses.

-- Katie

Katie Day
PYP Teacher-Librarian
United World College of Southeast Asia