HI all,

Thanks for the great responses someone requested a hit and here you go.

I'd be careful about how you present needing certain days off - you
wouldn't want to appear less than committed to your job.  On the other
hand, I would certainly ask about getting time off to attend conferences
and frame it in terms of maintaining your professional development so
that you can better serve your patrons.  Good luck if this means you're
looking for a job!

Call it "professional development schedule and opportunities" when you
ask about it during the interview.
You might also ask if there is a committee on professional development
in the district that you could sit on, what the past history and/or
policy  is of district allowing employees to attend conferences and
workshops, whether they have a push in or go out philosophy or if there
is in-house professional development, also who decides if and when
people attend them and who pays for it, including expenses.
Let them know that you are serious about keeping abreast of new
developments and up to date in your skills so you can better serve your
population.

I would never ask about those things if I were being interviewed.
That comes later.  Do not give the  impression that money, contracts, etc.
are the most important things. Just my opinion.

If the interview team brings up those topics then I think it may be okay, but I
believe that that kind of question would be better asked AFTER they offer you a job
but BEFORE you accept it.

The purpose to the interview is to sell yourself as the candidate that can offer
them the most value in that position.  This might sound crass, but basically you
want to find out "what's-in-it-for-me?"   That kind of question during the
interview is likely to make a negative impression.

During the interview ???  In my opinion you may very well be sending up a red flag
to the administration.  I certainly wouldn't advise that you discuss needing days
off, etc. unless you're getting married soon and have your honeymoon booked.

I just interviewed for my new job and have been reading articles about
questions to ask.    I think it would be OK to ask about attending
conferences because that shows professionalism.

Don't ask about days off.  That would show that you are more interested in
your time off than working at the school. It is pretty standard to be given
a certain amount of sick days (I have 10) and three personal days.

DO ask questions about the student population and what is expected of you.
Ask about the curriculum and tell them how you can work with the teachers to
help them.  When I was involved in choosing my replacement, one candidate
didn't ask a single question and it gave me the impression that she was
either very inexperienced or didn't care much about the job.
Asking about conferences, yes.  That's important to know.  About taking days
off, no.  Questions like that should be saved until you have a job offer,
unless the answer could somehow make you cut an interview short.  I've
served on several interview committees and if someone asked about days off,
my first thought would be that they'll be unreliable.

I would always encourage questions meant to determine the level of
professional support you'll receive, but not about contractual details.
Human resources can fill you in, once you have an offer.

Absolutely. You are a professional who needs to maintain a high
degree of knowledge and connectivity so it is very forward-thinking
to convey this during the interview prospect.

I am interviewing on Wednesday this week. I plan to ask, "Do you allow release time
for your librarian?  Attendance at conferences, professional organization committee
work and workshop training are specific things I want to participate with for
professional development purposes.  I also plan to ask about scheduling (fixed or
flex), my opportunities to work through lunch or take a bit longer if I need to
meet with a librarian for planning, etc.

These topics along with others (such as budget matters) seem to be delicate
matters.  I don't want to seem pushy, and of course I'm not seeking the job just to
be gone often.  I plan to communicate that when I am here and working I am work
more than 100%, but my professional growth is important.  These opportunities are
necessary for me to continue to give more than 100% to my students and faculty.  In
short, I want to communicate that I am worth the investment.

I'd be careful about how you present needing certain days off - you
wouldn't want to appear less than committed to your job.  On the other
hand, I would certainly ask about getting time off to attend conferences
and frame it in terms of maintaining your professional development so
that you can better serve your patrons.  Good luck if this means you're
looking for a job!

If you are going to be in a union, they likely have the contract online.  Check the
district website.

Whenever I've gone on a job interview I've waited until I was offered the job
before I asked about items related to my personal circumstances. Work related
things (like conferences, the library's budget, etc. ) I think are fair game for
the regular interview.