Four years ago when I was doing a short stint in teacher recruitment (newly
graduating teachers) a
particular teacher brought along her laptop with her portfolio on it.  All the
other candidates who
had bothered to bring portfolios had lugged in various versions of scrapbooks and
other print
formats so this digital format was a novelty.  However it had such an impact that
the team talked
about it for some time and the candidate remained in the consciousness of the team
rather than
blurring with all the others.

This, at a time when student portfolios had been around for years and years yet
staff portfolios
were almost unheard of!  How I wish I had kept photographs and such of the stuff
that I did, even
just the part of my career that was devoted to the library! At the very least,  it
would have been
an interesting memoir.

However, I think what should be in  a professional portfolio is a fascinating
thread and I hope
people really contribute to it because such a document would add yet another string
to our
evidence-based advocacy bow.  I am going to pose the same question on OZTL_NET
which is the
Australian version of LM_NET and then, drawing on the responses and some research I
will do, I will
focus on this question in my first column for the academic year  in Teacher
Librarian.  Hopefully
many of you will be inspired to start creating a portfolio from the start of your
school year -
maybe that could be one of your goals!

If you have any comments to make, please email them to me directly (just use
'reply') or share them
with the group.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton