Hi Alison!  I have been an elementary liibrarian for 25 years at a k - 6
Montessori School.
When they first were poplular  I thought they were not worthy to be bought
with library money but the kids could read them if they brought them from
home. Recently (within the past 6 months) I have had a group of emergent
readers who really liked them and did not seem inclined to read any
substitutes I could find.  So . . . I bought a few.  Although the writing
is still contrived, the subject matter still "silly" they aren't so bad in
light of many other things published lately.

I think they are fine for recreational readin and am only using them in a
lit circle because it is a path to other things.

my 2cents.
Laurel

Laurel Ackles
Librarian