Richie's  Picks: REVOLUTION IS NOT A  DINNER PARTY by Ying Chang Compestine,
Henry Holt, August 2007, ISBN:  0-8050-8207-7; Audio edition on CD by
Listening Library, ISBN:  0739356321

"When we reached our  courtyard, Comrade Li and the Red Guards were pasting
new posters and slogans on  tree trunks and all three buildings.  The air was
heavy with the smell of  fresh ink.  I spotted a white poster with Father's
name on it in black  ink.  Over his name was a big red X, bright as blood.
" 'Why are they doing  this, Daddy?' I whispered.  Father held my hand
tighter and walked faster  without answering.  Once in our apartment, he ran to the
fireplace, lit a  fire, and threw in his letters and books.  Wisps of burnt
paper bumped  around inside the fireplace like frightened black butterflies.  He
even  threw in his red tie and the English book we had made together.  The
fire  slowly destroyed the picture of the little girl -- first her dress, then
her ice  cream, and finally her face and hair.  Sitting in Father's large
leather  chair, I fought back tears, feeling my happy days were burning away with
the  girl.
"Father picked up the  picture of the Golden Gate Bridge from above the
fireplace.  I held my  breath as he stared at it.  At last, he put it back.  'I
can't do  it.  Not yet,' he mumbled.  I let out my  breath."
Ling's blissful  childhood steadily unravels.  First, half her family's
apartment  is confiscated to provide living quarters for Comrade Li, the new
political  officer for the hospital.  Next, Dr. Wong, her father's best friend is
taken away after being cited by Comrade Li as an enemy of the  State.  Then
Ling is shunned and attacked at school for being from "a  nonworking bourgeois
family" because her father is a surgeon at the  hospital rather than being a
worker in a factory, in the army, or on a  farm.
It does not matter  that Dr. Wong and Ling's father had both previously
turned down valuable  opportunities to emigrate to America and practice medicine
with  Dr. Smith, their teacher from San Francisco but, instead, chose to put
their  energy into the new China.
Things continue to  spiral downward:
"Father was soon  ordered by Comrade Li to mop floors and scrub bathrooms in
the  hospital.  He could no longer work as a doctor."
Ying Chang  Compestine's gut-wrenching story, set in China in the 1970's, is
being  published as a middle school novel.  Her editor explained to me  that
some names have been changed.  But the events depicted here  were the real deal
for the author.  She lived this tale of  terror during her childhood and
adolescence in the city of Wuhan  during the era preceding Mao's death.
The book also serves as Compestine's ode  to the father who struggled to
provide her a happy and fulfilling childhood  amidst the horrors of the Cultural
Revolution, while also being steadfast in  his determination to abide by and
pass on the Physician's Creed that  he had taken to heart, and of which he had
hidden a copy in their  home:
"...A great physician should not pay attention to  status, wealth, or age.
Nor should he question whether his patient is an  enemy or friend."
I'm sure  that when those who are familiar with my  freedom-loving big mouth
and attitude have the opportunity to  read REVOLUTION IS NOT A DINNER PARTY,
they will readily agree that I could well  have been dead a long time ago had I
suffered the fate of  growing up an adolescent in Ling's world of Maoist
China.
"Father had always  told me knowledge was the most important thing in life.
Was class struggle  and excuse to punish good people?  I felt frustrated that
I had no one to  whom I could ask my questions."
This past weekend  I lugged or mailed nearly 75 lbs. of advanced reading
copies from my trip to Book Expo in New York City.  It is certainly  hard to
imagine that anything I picked up could be more riveting or  significant than this
one is.

Richie Partington,  MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com