I think Shonda's idea of adding to Wikipedia is a wonderful idea. I keep
hearing how librarians have to "get out there" and be where the public is
spending their time. Lately, the answer (at least among some public librarians,
ALA, and some middle schools) seems to be "get a life on Second Life." I,
personally, feel that a virtual life is not a real one and agree with the  recently
written article in the ALA magazine that it's not a viable way to reach
patrons. However, I digress...

Shonda's idea of adding information to Wikipedia that comes from reliable
sources (certified librarians) is extremely valuable. It doesn't mean that those
 librarians who dislike Wikipedia will want to use it, however, it will lend
credibility to entries that have been written by librarians and will
definitely  add certified "meat" to entries.

Also, since pictures speak a thousand words, the stereotypical librarian
with glasses and a bun can be sent flying with great photos of librarians hard
at work "doing their thing." I think it would help to demystify the myth that
librarians sit around and stamp books all day. Writing entries in Wikipedia
about librarians, and beefing up other entries is a fine way to not throw out
the baby with the bathwater.

Kudos Shonda!
Alma

Alma Ramos-McDermott