Hi LM-Netters,

We have wireless connection throughout the campus, and in the library.
My school uses Cisco systems.

A few weeks ago we installed a new security gate, 3M 3801; and we began
experiencing problems. The 3M agents said that the gate's rating was
13.6 megahertz whereas the wireless point was 2.4 gigahertz, and being
2-3 meters apart they were affecting each other.

While reporting the situation to our IT department, we also expressed
our health concerns, citing the issues that were brought up in Britain
lately.

Result: the access point near the gate was removed and the problem of
the gate was solved. But the issue regarding the health problem was
disregarded claiming that there is no evidence proving the wireless
connections are hazardous.

I would be happy to know if there are similar problems and your
thoughts....

Issues of health concerns:

BBC Panorama : Transcript: Wi-Fi
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/6683969.stm>
BBC News : Wi-Fi: a warning signal
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/6674675.stm>

Times Online : Health fears lead schools to dismantle wireless networks
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article642575
.ece>

Scotsman.com : Schools warned as concerns grow over wireless computer
networks <http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=785562007>

Ayse Yuksel
Robert College Library
Librarian