Terry,

(Is conversation on-list discouraged? If so, I
apologize. Note, too, that I read LM_NET in
digest, so someone may already have replied to
Terry by the time I got the last digest.)

Review journals have specific people they send
selected titles to for review. They do this
because specific people have expertise not held
by the general population of readers or
reviewers. For some time, Horn Book sent me books
on American Indians. This is my area of
expertise. The fact that I am American Indian,
tribally enrolled, raised on the reservation, is
not what gives me expertise. I am a former school
teacher, and I have a doctorate in Education from
the University of Illinois, with my area of
research and study being representations of American Indians.

Terry references "the curriculum" --- but we
should remember that "the curriculum" is prepared
by people who were raised and taught in specific
ways, depending on their location and other
factors (like money for good schools, etc.) "The
curriculum" at an Indian school on a reservation
may or may not differ from the curriculum in an
urban school in a major city. I would hope that
the Indian school provided its children books
that reflect who they are. It does them no good
to read that their ancestors were murderous
blood-thirsty savages, because that was not the
case, anymore than it was the case that white
settlers and soldiers were blood-thirsty. They
were all fighting for something. The Indians
fought to protect their land, parents,
grandparents, children, religious ways, etc. etc.
from settlers and soldiers who wanted that land.
There was brutality on both sides, but that isn't
the way most books of historical fiction tell
those stories. They do this to justify the taking
of that land. The ideology at work? Blood-thirsty
killers don't deserve land. Good, God-fearing white settlers do.

As educators, we must not continue to tell the
story that way. We must provide a more balanced
story. "The curriculum" is lacking, just as much
as the story books. All kids need balanced depictions of history.

Debbie

>Date:    Thu, 7 Jun 2007 08:06:39 -0700
>From:    Terry Darr <darrtk@YAHOO.COM>
>Subject: Re: "We" the People - NEH/ALA Bookshelf
>
>Please excuse my genuine confusion...
>Is there an "authority list" of acceptable titles
>outside of what the curriculum says?  Who has the
>right to become the authority figure and dictate what
>is acceptable for people of color?
>Terry Darr

Debbie A. Reese (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu