The best thing I did this year was to participate in GatesBeatles - a committee
with a funny name dedicated to:

__ Free-range brainstorming
__ Studying trends
__ Discovering the needs of 21st century learners
__ Re-imagining what a school should be
__ Trying out ideas

Our committee tried an experiment.  We designed an Academic Challenge Event for our
students:

Who:
__ Two 12-student teams of all abilities & grade levels on each team
__ 4 teacher facilitators per team

THE CHALLENGE:
__ Stay within a budget to build a home
__ Create a virtual model of an energy efficient, environmentally friendly home
__ Meet local building codes
__ Make the home accessible for the physically challenged
__ Include recreational features to make the home appealing for a family
__ Market the plan to a team of judges

THE RESOURCES:
__ A real estate agent
__ A banker
__ An architect
__ A contractor
__ An attorney
__ A code enforcement officer
__ 3-D Architect Software
__ Cell phones, ipods etc.
__ Virtual Home Building (Online Library Pathfinder)

THE TIME FRAME:
__ 2 school days
__ First day viewing potential building lots and meeting with building experts
__ Second day - under 6 hours to actually create the virtual home

THE RESULTS?

__ Beyond our WILDEST dreams

To read more, you can read about this project and more on a powerpoint I created
for a recent workshop.

Please click on the globalization workshop link at:
http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/ACEDocs.htm

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for poetry and to
put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
315-986-3521 x 3144
jhenry@gananda.org
Library Page: http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm
Blog: http://nlcommunities.com/communities/wanderings/default.aspx
>>> Lisa Gonzalez <librarianlisag@GMAIL.COM> 06/06/07 1:06 PM >>>
Hello LM_Netters,

I thought I'd send out a request asking you to describe the best thing you
did in your library this year.  Was it a collaborative unit?  A new policy
or procedure?  A new program?  I thought this would be a great way for us
all to brainstorm new ideas for next year.  Thanks!

Lisa Gonzalez, librarian
Notre Dame High School
455 Palma Drive
Salinas, CA 93901