Patricia,

I wish I could say that, given that they are
nonfiction, we could rest assured they were
properly vetted. The case is, however, that most
of America was socialized/educated to view
American Indians in rather narrow ways. This
narrowness and bias is very much part of the nonfiction texts out there.

An easy one to note:

There were many clashes between Native peoples
and white settlers/soldiers. When the Natives
came out ahead, that "win" was called  a
"massacre." When the Whites "won", it was called
a "battle."  The word "massacre" brings a whole
different set of images to your head than the word battle.

Among nonfiction picture books, I like two series.

First is the one written by Virginia Driving Hawk
Sneve. I believe the series is called the "A
First Americans Book" published by Chelsea House.
What I like, especially, is the final pages of
each book, which presents Native peoples of that
tribe in the present day. That is vital for
children to learn and know. We didn't all die off or vanish. We are still here.

The second series I like is, in fact, titled 'WE
ARE STILL HERE' and is published by Lerner. This
is a wonderful set, because it features Native
voice and lots of pictures of Native kids engaged
in the activities all kids do, plus it shows them
taking part in their Native ways, too.

I also HIGHLY recommend that students go right to
tribal websites. Today, more and more tribes have
their own websites, so you can get THEIR voice
and perspective. Generally they include a page on
their history and culture. The best way to get to
them is through Lisa Mitten's website. I link to
it from my blog, under "EXCELLENT WEBSITES ON
AMERICAN INDIANS." The link
is
http://www.nativeculturelinks.com/nations.html.
The outstanding quality of Lisa's compilation is
that she identifies sites maintained by the tribe itself with a drum icon.

Also very important is to teach kids critical
media skills on evaluating Native websites.
Elaine Cubbins of the American Indian Library
Association has an excellent page:
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~ecubbins/webcrit.html
also linked to from my page under "EXCELLENT WEBSITES."

Lotsee Patterson is outstanding, as noted in an
earlier post, for her work in this area. I've not
had the pleasure of meeting her, but do link to
an article she co-wrote. That article is listed
on my page, under "On-Line Articles...."

I am trying to do more than just blog....  I link to lots of resources.
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com

Debbie