Target: I will begin work in an elementary school transitioning to a year round
calendar in July, and prior experience has been in a traditional calendar
elementary. Are there tips or suggestions with regard to setting up a calendar
system w/K/1 fixed schedule, and other LMC usage, to note lessons, other
reservations, etc?
We have at least four areas that can be used by classes at any time by anyone as
well as students coming throughout the day for check out. I worry about having too
many "calendars" with one for fixed, and one for lessons, etc. I fear I would
"miss" something if everything were not in one place. I am not sure if I want it to
be electronic either. Does anyone have any "forms" or a special type of planning
calendar they use?
So what works, what doesn't and what should I never do?
How might I set up the patrons in the automation program? Differently or the same?
Does your school allow students to keep books during the track out time, or allow
them to come in to use the media center?
Any special tips about working in a year round environment as a library media
coordinator? What works, especially when the set up has students on hiatus for 3 or
more weeks, what has not, and what would you do if you could do it all over again?
Please e-mail me directly and I will post a hit of course!

Sonja S. Beckham
Library Media Coordinator
Holly Ridge Middle School NC
ssb1027@ecu.edu