I've always felt that I should keep things in consistent order with the books filed
according to standard.  However, when I lost my aide a couple of years ago I had
trouble keeping up with shelving.  In addition, our schedules have become so
fragmented, I couldn't have student helpers this year.  So I pulled all my books
for emergent readers and put them on six shelves. Some of the primary kids will
come to the library a couple of times a day to check out more books--because
they've finished reading theirs on the way back to the room!  The K's and 1's and
sometimes other kids can go through them check them in and out and they can be
"reshelved" in a jiffy.  The books are in no particular order except that the E
books are together, and the Dewey books are on a shelf and the biographies are on a
shelf.  As the kids progressed in their reading, they wanted "chapter books."  I
pulled all the beginning chapter books and put them in a special spot, designated
them by BC (Beginning Chapter) on an orange sticker on the spine.  I do keep these
in alphabetical order by the author's last name and have noted BC in the catalog.
The kids LOVED this section.  The younger students felt very accomplished reading a
"chapter book." They got hooked on series (I kept these approx. levels 3.2 and
lower) and after they read through this section, they naturally gravitated to the
fiction section.  I found that older students weren't at all put off if they wanted
to read a book from one of these sections.  It's made putting books away so much
faster, the kids are reading more and I've found that they can easily find things
the standard way in other parts of the library.

Jan Cole
LMS
Horace Mann Elementary
Duncan, OK