Regarding the ongoing disucssion about Dewey, Subject Headings and Tagging.

My somewhat random thoughts this Saturday afternoon as I think about the
task coming up this week , moving books from old shelves to new shelves and
deciding if I want to change the arrangement.

In the discussion on Dewey it seems to me it isn't just Dewey but also
Library of Congress. Both are systems to classify materials so that they are
shelved in some logical sense. Perhaps the problem with patrons trying to
use either system is that while 796 means sports to us, it doesn't anything
to them. Sure, some may have memorized the numbers at one time. But I have
memorized a number of things that I don't remember now. So why not still use
Dewey but put a big sign where 796 books are shelved. Run the signs side by
side if necessary. What ever system you use, you will still need a way to
determine where the books go on the shelf.

In making sure that all items on one subject are together, I madk call
number changes all the time. For example I took a book on Genetic
Engineering focusing on the engineering aspect that was in the 600s and the
only book on the subject in that area and put it in another section where
the other books on the subject were found. But at the same time I have books
on Global Warming in two areas, 300s as well as 550s.

For the most part I use Sears subject headings but those also get modified.
For example, I take all the juvenile literature sub headings out. At the
same time I often put more description in the summary so that those using
keyword searches can find the items.

True tagging would have to be done by my patrons rather than myself. So I
would need a library program that would allow my patrons to create an
account, then put their own tags on books in my library catalog. It would be
interesting to see what kinds of tags the students were using as a way of
looking at what they are interested in and how I can build on those
interests. Since I don't have that kind of program I would encourage them to
use another more presonal program such as library thing.

We have one more week to go, and most of it will be taken up with reshelving
my library. Everyone have a good summer.

Deborah Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden, Germany
deborah.stafford@t-online.de