Hi everyone...Happy Summer!

I introduced the "Genre Passport".

It involved reading 6 books from different genres for students in grade 2
and 12 books from different genres for grades 3-5.  The students had to
give an oral book talk to the rest of the class for each book read.

It was a huge success. For every completed passport, the kids got to drop
it in the "Genre Box" and at the end of the year we drew out 2 winners.
These students got to pick out $100.00 of new books from the Scholastic
Book Fair that we had at our annual end of year picnic.  Since it was a
"Buy One Get One Free", it only cost me $100.00 for two kids, who were
THRILLED!  Their parents were even more thrilled and came with the kids.

I was working with the students when the new Superintendent came over and
she was very impressed.

It was a win-win program all around.  My circulation stats were good and
didn't fall down despite the terrible schedule I teach.

If you would like a copy of the passport that I used, just click on
http://mikids.com/Library/Passports.html

Cheers,

Carolyn Gundrum, B.Ed., (UBC) M.A. (WMU)
LMS, Waukazoo and Sheldon Woods Elementary Schools,
Holland, MI 49424
http://www.mikids.com