The best thing I did this year isis two things. One  also in line with dewey,
tagging, and shelving. The other is with expanding the book club.

I have a school of 850 middle schoolers. Our circulation is huge, 300+ books a day.
I have my books in dewey order with reference shelved in with non-fiction. Series
books are so popular in middle school, I decided to keep them in dewey, but have
displays of series on top of the low shelving. (When our library was built, I asked
that all the middle and one side of shelving be low.)
I have displays of "Series of the Week", "Authors of the Week", Mr.(teacher name)'s
favorite series. I change teachers each week. I might have Principal's Choice or
Custodian's Choice. I always have a "new book" display. These are dispays in the
fiction. I have a box on the counter that says, "Displays for the next 3 weeks will
be.... ( I list titles of books I plan to display)Please submit 5-6 sentence book
reviews here".  I get quite a few. Students and now even teachers participate.I put
a review or two in a small acrylic holder right next to the display. Students love
this!!
In the non-fiction area, I have books that may seem to belong in 2 different
places. I always leave one in the correct place, and then put one on display in
another.I have displays of whatever they are studying in Social Studies or Science.
 I also decided to have 1 book displayed right next to my desk called "Book of the
Moment". I started out with it being "Book of the Day", but it is always gone in 10
minutes, so I changed it to moment. I have had more calls and visits from parents
this year than all the other years combined telling me their kids love coming to
the library now because it is so easy to find good books. The principal said she
never needed to stop in, because there were always so many kids in the library she
assumed I was doing everything right. Now she pops in just to see what the book of
the moment is. She even comes in and chooses books to put up.  Next year, she is
going to join our book club!The second semester (after she learns how to run a
club) she plans to have a book club of her own on campus. She wants to do a book
club where the books are about sports. Last year, I had the only book club on
campus. I mentioned at a meeting how great it would be if one or some of them
stopped by. They did!! We now have 7 teachers with lunchtime book clubs! Some
clubs, the kids read the same book, some they all read a different book and book
talk it.  One teacher does movies based on books. All have posters  up and
advertise when they are starting a new book. One teacher has a club just for 7th
graders. One does it before school each Thursday.I love it because the kids, for
the most part, can join any one of the clubs and then a few weeks later join
another. We got a new teacher at the beginning of the second semster.When she
arrived, she put up a poster also. I commented how nice it was to see her starting
yet another book club. She told me she thought she had to because she saw the
posters around school. Next year she is changing hers to a chess club. That is
great. The kids will love it.
Kathy

Kathy Spielman
Sr. Library Media Clerk