Dear LM_NETters:
My Principal received the following solicitation:
Dear Principal -
We know how important it is to support New Jersey school
libraries. School libraries are the gateway for student literacy and many
studies have concluded that there is a correlation between well-maintained
school libraries and increased student test scores. We have a great program to
help support the library at Hackensack High School.

Patronbooks.com is a new online bookstore that is
dedicated to assisting school libraries with their fundraising activities. We
carry over one million titles, from Pulitzer prize winning biographies to the
latest illustrated children’s books and ship directly from our
state-of-the-art distribution centers to our customer’s homes or offices.

Our fundraising model is simple - we sell all of our books
at list price, but we allocate 20% of every book purchase to support school
libraries and related programs. Each customer is asked to designate a school
that they support when they create an account and 20% of every purchase they
make is earmarked for that school. If your parents, staff, teachers, alumni and
supporters purchase their books from patronbooks.com your school could raise a
significant sum of money to purchase new books or expand library services. Our
program can be a companion fundraiser with existing school book fairs.

If a school is registered with us as a Patron Partner, we
remit their school contribution on a quarterly basis. (If they are not
registered, we send the money every six months). School registration is an
easy, no obligation, no cost and no commitment process.

As a fundraising partner, we provide a 24/7/365 tool that
doesn’t require any volunteers, event coordination, or investment. We
hope that we can partner with your school, staff and parents to assist you with
your library fundraising needs. For more information, please either visit our
site, www.patronbooks.com,
or email me at craig.macintyre@patronbooks.com

Does anyone have any experience, positive or negative, with this patronbooks.com
organization?  If it is a good deal, it might be a way to get some
funds for our library.  I don't want to get involved in something cumbersome
as I do not have the clerical staff to keep up with extra orders, paperwork,
etc.  Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Cynthia Ortiz, Hackensack High School Library, Hackensack New Jersey

Cynthia Ortiz
Hackensack School District
mailto:c.ortiz@hackensackschools.org