Richie's Picks: HOLDUP by Terri Fields,  Roaring Brook, April 2007, ISBN:
1-56343-219-5

This Saturday night's cast:

Jordan, a high school senior:

"I tried to keep it from happening, I really did, but when I  said I didn't
think I could manage so many Advanced Placement classes, my  counselor shook
her head.  'Jordan, don't you realize the difficulty of  getting into a
selective college?'...So now my supersized class load devours me  every day.  And
every AP teacher warns, 'Don't even think of  complaining about the homework.  You
signed up for this class!'...Trying to  find a little breathing room, I told
my parents that given my homework load, I  didn't think I could manage an
after-school job.  My father frowned,  reminding me, 'You're not a child any
longer.  Do you realize how much the  kinds of colleges you're looking at will
cost?'...And then there's  basketball.  When I said I didn't think I could play
varsity this year with  all my other commitments, my coach came unglued.  'Do
you realize how much  this team is counting on your shot?' "

It is supposed to be a Saturday off from Burger Heaven for  Jordan, but when
they are short-handed and the manager calls her in desperation,  Jordan can't
say no to coming in, nor to taking responsibility when the  manager suddenly
encounters a personal emergency and leaves Jordan in  charge for the night.

Just before closing time on Saturday night Jordan will be  at the front
counter.

Sara:

"If I had just, like, one chance for a do-over, I so know what  it would be.
I, for sure, would not have shoplifted that red skirt.   I, like, wouldn't
even have cared that it fit so perfect and was going to mean  all eyes on me at
Tommy R.'s party.  I mean, not to exaggerate or anything,  but I looked like a
supermodel...Getting busted was like a nightmare in slow  motion...I, like,
kept seeing myself getting sent to that awful tent city for  teens doing time
on weekends.  So, like, after a long lecture, when  they finally said something
about a second chance, I was ready to  say yes to whatever it was...But I am
so sure that I didn't really  get it then that I'd be spending all my Saturday
nights ringing up burgers  and cleaning up after slobs."

Just before closing time on Saturday night Sara will  angrily be cleaning up
tables after slobs and trying to forget that she's got  the next restroom
check.

Alex:

"I'm done waiting.  I reach over to that beautiful butt  and grab a nice
little pinch.  I'm thinking she's thinking it feels pretty  good.
"And then wham!  A whole steel  ketchup container slams into my head.  Man, I
can't see much, but what  I'm seeing is all red.  And I'm hoping it's just
ketchup, but my head hurts  something awful.
" So after my head gets bandaged, and the ketchup gets  cleaned, the overall
manager shows up.  Not just the shift guy, but some  big shirt.  He yells at
me about 'sexual harassment.'  Says I better  be on my knees she doesn't sue
Burger Heaven, because if she sues, they don't  have my back.
"What about her wearing those tight pants?' I say."

Just before closing time on Saturday night Alex will be  in the back at the
grill, working alongside that girl in tight  pants.

Theresa:

"Sometimes I have to smile at the stupidity of it all when I  think of myself
as a Burger Heaven employee.  I mean, I'm a vegetarian  who's entirely hung
up on health.  I believe you have to take care of  yourself.  If you don't,
nobody else is going to do it for you.  But  here I am routinely handing out fat
on a bun with a pathetic pickle and a wilted  piece of lettuce as the meal's
only vegetables."

Just before closing time on Saturday night Theresa will  be in the back at
the grill, working next to Alex, who, since that  incident, is not even supposed
to be on the premises when she is working  there.  But with being three
employees short tonight and Jordan forced  to be in charge...

Manuel:

"Burger Heaven's goal is one hundred and twenty seconds on the  clock from
the first punch on the register to the time the order is in  the customer's
hands.  Only two minutes total, but I usually beat  it.  Nobody on the window is
faster than me.  If I can't pick out a  regular by the sound of the engine,
I've got the order going from the first  glimpse of the car...Then, of course,
there's Mrs. Wilkins.  She never  treats me like some sort of an automatic order
taker.  In fact, she not  only knows I'm a senior, but she keep encouraging
me to apply for college every  time she's here.  Once or twice, she even
brought me some scholarship  information.  I've tried to tell her that I'm not
going
to college, but she  only says, 'You never know.  Think about it.' "

Just before closing time on Saturday night Manuel will be  taking a
well-deserved break and sitting in the one booth where angry  Sara cannot see him
and
demand that he help with the preliminary  shutdown procedures.

Mrs. Wilkins, an eighty-six year-old retired teacher and  counselor:

"My daughter doesn't have to know everything I do.  I  don't remember asking
her to be in charge of me.  How could I have produced  such a
worrywart?...Sometimes, if the Burger Heaven playground is  deserted, I sit inside
in a
bright-green booth and eavesdrop on the  beginnings of budding romance, tearful
talk, or shared gossip.
"Why can't my daughter understand that this place is good for  me?"

Just before closing time on Saturday night Mrs. Wilkins is  sitting in the
obscured booth with a burger and Manuel, explaining to him the  details of FAFSA
scholarships.

Keith, developmentally disabled adolescent, just turned 18  today:

"Miss Simcor said I was growed up.  She was proud of how  much I had growed
up in three years.  She said I should be  proud because I was going to graduate
this year...I got home today.   Mom wasn't there.  But there was an envelope
on the kitchen table.  It  said, 'To Keith.'  I was happy.  I knew what it
was.  It was a  birthday card.  My mom didn't forget this time!"

When Keith opens the card on Saturday, with his mom still  gone, he learns
that -- now that he's eighteen -- his mom has paid the last  month's rent and
enclosed some cash with the card before abandoning Keith  to go off to live with
her boyfriend in Mexico.

"Miss Simcor said people do special things for  birthdays.  I was going to
ask my mom if we could go to Burger  Heaven.  It's my birthday.  It's my
favorite place.
"Especially because sometimes, there's this really nice girl  there named
Jordan, and she says hi to me.  She says she doesn't like  ketchup on her
burgers, either."

Just before closing time on Saturday night Keith will be  counting down the
final blocks on his very long walk to celebrate his birthday  at Burger Heaven.

Dylan (a.k.a. Derrick) a former high school  student:

"Did Carter High's toothless teachers and powerless principal  really believe
they could control me?  'You're so smart, Dylan,' they  said.  'You cannot
keep breaking the rules,' they said.  Well, they  were right about some of it.
I am extremely smart...My well-orchestrated  robbery is supposed to take place
tonight, and that is not going to work  correctly without my partner...I've
already committed the money from it to a  midnight meeting, and I will honor
that commitment tonight...Thus, I need only  to locate one unquestioning
follower within the next few hours to complete my  plan.
"Actually, I believe it was Goethe who said that magic is  believing in
yourself, and if you can do that, you can make anything  happen.  Thus, I have no
doubt that I will find my unquestioning follower,  and my life will proceed
exactly as planned."

Joe:

During  last period chem class, while paired up with her  at a lab station,
Joe gets up the courage to ask out Alicia, the  incredible-looking new girl at
school.  But he promises to show up at her  house in a new truck he doesn't
own -- he's actually described to her his cousin  Jesse's new truck.  In order
to borrow the truck, he must  now immediately acquire the money necessary to
purchase an  unbelievably expensive concert ticket from a scalper and then trade
Jesse  the ticket for use of the truck.

"Cars begin to zip by me, and I hold my sign up, facing the  traffic.
Unbelievable.  I am actually panhandling for money.  At  least I didn't lie.  I
mean, my sign doesn't say I'm homeless or  anything.  And I do need help.  Maybe
this'll be one of those stories  like my dad and his old buddies talk about
after a couple of beers when they  remember the good old days of high school.
Until this moment, I didn't  have even one crazy or wild high school story to
tell.  I will  now."

Just like one of those high school chem experiments, where you  pour in a
bunch of stuff and it all suddenly begins to crystallize, this  cast of
characters will reach critical mass at 10 PM on Saturday  night.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks