What is the difference between the 10 digit isbn's and the 13 digit isbn's?

respond to me off list as I'm sure everyone else but me knows the answer

thanks

_________________________
Patricia Sarles, MA, MLS
Canarsie High School Library
1600 Rockaway Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11236
tel: (718) 290-8600 x273, x274, x275
 fax: (718) 290-8681
psarles@schools.nyc.gov
http://existentialist.edublogs.org <http://existentialist.edublogs.org/>

"Man is a mystery: if you spend your entire life trying to puzzle it out, then do
not say that you have wasted your time. I occupy myself with this mystery, because
I want to be a man." - Fyodor Dostoevsky

"One sticks one's finger into the soil to tell by the smell in what land one is: I
stick my finger in existence - it smells of nothing. Where am I? Who am I? How came
I here? What is this thing called the world? What does this world mean? Who is it
that has lured me into the world? Why was I not consulted, why not made acquainted
with its manners and customs instead of throwing me into the ranks, as if I had
been bought by a kidnapper, a dealer in souls? How did I obtain an interest in this
big enterprise they call reality? Why should I have an interest in it? Is it not a
voluntary concern? And if I am to be compelled to take part in it, where is the
director? I should like to make a remark to him. Is there no director? Whither
shall I turn with my complaint?" - Søren Kierkegaard