Dear Colleagues:

Thank you all for your AR shelving input. The results were about as I'd expected;
most of you would rearrange things right away. A few of you suggested that I
discuss the matter with teachers and administrators beforehand. (Personally, I find
it's always easier to get forgiveness rather than permission!) Two people
recommended living with it for a while and deciding later.

Almost everyone uses colored dot stickers to mark their books, and several people
do shelve books for their littlest patrons on a cart or separate bookcase. Only
four librarians shelve their AR books by level, for the convenience of the students
and themselves.

Your reasoning for not shelving by reading level was as follows:

*       A true library does not shelve by reading level.
*       It kind of defeats the purpose of teaching library organization if the
books aren't organized.
*       [A] library [is] not an AR storage area.
*       I feel that many of the titles that the library owns that are not AR are
just as good literature as those that have a test.
*       I didn't want [a struggling reader] standing in a 2nd grade level area
along with the second graders. I felt his dignity and self-worth were more
important than ease of shelving.
*       That's too restrictive.
*       [T]he books are also in correct shelf order so that anyone can look up a
book using the online catalog and find it in the library if they have a basic
understanding that libraries are organized alphabetically and numerically.
*       We are teaching them to use a real library, arranged by author and Dewey.
*       I don't like that one program is dictating my library organization.
*       Books that are not AR don't get used if they are not intershelved.
*       I reminded them, that the library was not where students found things fast
...but where we taught HOW to find books.
*       It also took up more space then I have to give.
*       [H]aving books shelved according to AR levels does not give students the
skills they need to enter any library and find what they are looking for.
*       [I]t would be confusing to have them all arranged by their levels.
*       This keeps books in what I consider optimum order, makes the kids look at
the books for content/interest.
*       The kids only want to read AR books when they are shelved separately.
*       [A} library is a place a child should want to come, not HAVE to come to
find a particular level.
*       I wanted kids to see other books nearby.
*       It is horrible to locate the books when there are a multitude of places to
look.
*       You had to know if the book had a test, or it's approximate level in order
to find it.
*       When a 6th grader has to find a book in the 2.1 range, it's humiliating
when the entire class watches and is made aware of it.

As  usual, your thoughts and opinions helped me clarify my own. I'm going to spend
all of August reshelving, and restickering.

Thanks Again!

Trisha Hartye, Librarian

Meherrin - Powelton Elementary School

Lawrenceville, VA