Richie's Picks: SCHOOLED by Gordon Korman,  Hyperion, July 2007, ISBN:
0-7868-5692-0

"I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed  to poetry, to
philosophy, ay, to life itself, than this incessant  business."
-- Henry David Thoreau

"And we've got to get ourselves back to the  garden."
-- Joni Mitchell, "Woodstock"

It's just over half a mile as the crow flies from my goat barn  and orchard
to the border of what was once Morning Star  Ranch.   Founded by Lou Gottlieb
on thirty hilly acres of  redwoods and apple trees he'd purchased outside
Graton, California during  his peak of success as a member of The Limelighters, the
counterculture commune  achieved international notoriety when it was featured
-- including  provocative photographs -- in the cover article, "The
Hippies," from the July 7, 1967 issue of Time magazine.

"And we're not the way you used to be when  you were very young"
-- Paul Kantner, "Mau-Mau (Amerikon)"

Ever since those Summer of Love headlines of forty  years ago, there has
existed a division in America between those  who perceive hippie ideals to be
radical, hedonistic, and  irresponsible; and those who believe that sharing freely
with others, offering a  helping hand to others, and looking past skin
colors, body shapes, name brands,  and sexual identities to find a child of God in
everyone, are good  examples of real "traditional values."

Decades later, during my years of working in the  bookstore downtown in
Sebastopol, it was a trip to get to know and booktalk  to the book-loving and
idea-loving members of my adopted community,  including many who'd arrived in those
mythical, magical days whilst  I'd still been a youngster back East in middle
school and high  school.  I was forever being awed by the  sudden appearance
in the store of such local icons as Bill  Wheeler and Micky Hart.

"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again"
-- Robert Hunter/Jerry Garcia,  "Ripple"

Many of the ideals of The Sixties live on  today in people living in and
around little towns out here like Sebastopol,  Graton, Occidental, and Freestone.
There is still a place where people  like to share.  It is a part of the
world where  there is an abundance of stores and restaurants that cater to  those
of us who have now spent decades trying to eat vegetarian,  unprocessed, and
organic.  And for all the people I know around here who  eschew television sets
in their homes, I expect that there are some  Third World countries with far
more TVs per  capita.

"I was thirteen the first time I saw a police officer up  close.  He was
arresting me for driving without a license.  At the  time, I didn't know what a
license was.  I wasn't too clear on what  being arrested meant either.
"But by then they were loading Rain onto a stretcher to rush  her in for
X-rays.  So I barely noticed the handcuffs the officer slapped  on my wrists.
" 'Who's the owner of this pickup?'
" 'It belongs to the community,' I told him.
"He made a note on a ring-bound pad.  'What  community?  Golf club?  Condo
deal?'
" 'Garland Farm.'
"He frowned.  'Never heard of that one.'
"Rain would have been pleased.  That was the whole point  of the community --
to allow us to escape the money-hungry rat race of modern  society.  If
people didn't know us, they couldn't find us, and we could  live our lives in peace.
" 'It's an alternative farm commune,' I  explained.
"The officer goggled at me.  'Alternative -- you mean  like hippies?'
" 'Rain used to be one, back in the sixties.  There were  fourteen families
at Garland then.  Now its just Rain and me.'  "

Capricorn (Cap) Anderson is a kid who has never watched  television nor eaten
meat.  His parents died of malaria in Namibia years  ago, while serving in
the Peace Corps.  Back when Cap was really young  there was still a thriving
community at Garland Farm.  But that is no  longer the case.

When Cap's grandmother, Rain, slips from the branches of  a tree while she is
picking plums and breaks her hip, thirteen-year-old Cap is  suddenly left
without the only person in his life and is given over to a  social worker for
temporary placement.  Unbeknownst to most of the story's  characters, that social
worker, Mrs. Donnelly, had long ago been a child  (named Floramundi) at
Garland Farm before her parents soured on the hippie  trip:

"I was five when my family joined the community -- too young  to remember any
life before that.  For six long years, that place  was my universe.  I ran
around barefoot, wearing peasant dresses, shared my  parents with other kids,
protested the Vietnam War, did farm chores, and  listened to a whole lot of
sitar music."

Now decades later, Mrs. Donnelly well  remembers Garland's
tyrant-of-a-teacher, Rain.  Mrs.  Donnelly takes Capricorn into her own home and
enrolls him in
the local  middle school.

"Well here's another clue for you all, the walrus was  Paul."
--The Beatles, "Glass Onion"

So you have this thirteen-year-old who is academically stellar  -- in those
curricular and "practical" areas of study that Rain has  deemed to be important
-- and who is thoroughly clueless about so many  "practical" aspects of
surviving as a Twenty-first Century middle  school student.  This clearly makes for
a tale of great humor and slapstick  when such an innocent and kind kid is
fed into the meat-grinder of middle school  cliques, social food chains, and
bullies.

It is also a total crack-up to see Cap's fascination with  Trigonometry and
Tears, Mrs. Donnelly's sixteen-year-old daughter's  favorite after-school soap
opera:

"When I watched it, everything around me seemed to disappear,  and the whole
world was happening on that little screen.  Those people were  so real, with
true-to-life problems and big decisions that had to be  made.  I kept wishing
that the characters had someone like Rain to turn to  in times of trouble, but
they didn't.  They had their parents, who were  even more messed up and
confused than the kids were.  It was a perfect  symbol for life outside Garland --
huge, complicated, and full of hidden traps  and pitfalls.  Plus, every now and
then, the program stops and the TV tells  you about all the great things you
can buy, like a miracle cream that makes it  scientifically impossible to get
a pimple."

But, of course, as with any significant piece of social satire  -- and
SCHOOLED is both an exceptional middle school read and an exception  piece of
social
satire -- you have  a whole 'nother level of  societal issues to be
contemplated and debated and even  taught.

An underlying issue encountered in SCHOOLED,  one that has perplexed me for
decades, is this: I understand  the desire to remove oneself and one's family
from the consumerism, the rat  race, the competition, and the corruption that
was rampant in the  Sixties and has only gotten far worse since then.  Many who
 practice the lifestyle in which Rain has raised Capricorn  honestly believe
that they are setting an example by modeling the  manner by which everyone
should live.  But others would question  whether it is moral to, in effect,
ignore oppression, tyranny, intolerance,  and war by removing oneself (and one's
voice) from  society.

Having grown up being affected by the Civil Rights  Movement and the Vietnam
War on the nightly news, I  found myself as a teenager who was in tune with
some of the  Back-to-the-Land philosophy, but who was unwilling -- back then and
still  today -- to toss the TV out or to refrain from watching  and speaking
out about what is happening in the world.  But  that's just me.

SCHOOLED, told from the points of view of Capricorn Anderson  and a cast of
adolescent and adult characters who come to know him, will  provide readers
with a lot of laughs and some serious questions about what  in the way we live is
really important.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com