I got a flyer in the mail promoting the books of the Holtzbrinck
Publishers.  They decided this year that they would distribute a poster
of their recommended titles for teens instead of a normal catalog.  That
was a wise move.  I took out the poster that was included and did take
some time to look over the selections.  If it was just another catalog,
it would probably go in the recycle bin.

        I saw a number of new titles that might be worth purchasing
including a number by an author that was new to me: Alyson Noel.  These
titles include Faking 19, Laguna Cove, Kiss and Blog and Art Geeks and
Prom Queens.  I'm hesitant about putting up the poster for two reasons:
The Bitch Posse (because of the title) and Dirty Blonde  [the Diaries of
Courtney Love] because of a nude woman on the cover.  I'm assuming that
this is probably Courtney herself lying over some flower blossoms with
her bottom fully exposed.

        The selection of books is very attractive and the poster idea
would have wide interest, but just as many of you balk at having a book
with the word "scrotum" in elementary school, I find myself in the same
situation at the high school level.  I'm curious to know how many of you
received the same poster and what you plan on doing with it.  The
publisher's website is www.holtzbrincklibrary.com.  The site is very
impressive (other that a few typos on the homepage).

        BTW, the cover of this book shows more skin than anything I can
remember seeing from the swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated.  You
can reply to me off-list or to everyone if you so choose.

Ed Nizalowski, SMS
Newark Valley High School
Newark Valley, NY
enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org

Walt Morey (1907-1992), author of Gentle Ben, overcame functional
illiteracy at age thirteen when he finally took up reading with a
passion.  The plots for most of his 17 published books revolve around
the relationship between man and animals often using the themes of
survival, self-discovery or redemption through nature.