I'm sorry I couldn't get my reply out to Sharon sooner but this post really
set me off.
I couldn't agree with the original post more. I think the notion of "young
adult" books makes no sense. What are young adults? I think the term should
be applied to kids from about age 16 to 24. To me they are young adults.
Pre- and early teens are NOT young adults. I have found that by the time
kids reach high school they are already experimenting with "adult"
literature and by the time they are late in the 9th grade they are really
beyond the young adult genre books for the most part.
In my school 9th graders do have one assignment for which I find young adult
books useful. It is a reading assignment in their social Issues class where
they read a book about a teen problem and then do a project based on the
book. I have quite a collection of such books (around six-hundred titles out
of a collection of about 6000 novels total).

Tom Kaun

On 2/28/07, Sharon Slaney <sslaney@lakeland272.org> wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded to my query about the Young Adult label on
> books for grades 9 through 12.  All respondents, except one, so far,
> agree that the label is confusing and is used on books that are more
> appropriate for middle school.    The one librarian who disagreed and
> said she found the exact opposite to be true, and suggested I look at
> the following authors. But the authors she suggested, prove my point:
> they are advertised as Young Adult - but look at their reading and
> interest levels, according to the Accelerated Reading Program:
>

> Sharon Slaney, Librarian
>
> Timberlake H.S. Library
>
> 5973 W. Hwy 54 P.O. Box 909
>
> Spirit Lake, Idaho 83869
>
> (208) 623-6303

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/