Dear LM_NET Colleagues,

Please DO NOT send your Target replies to the entire group.

I have noticed that some members tend to post their TARGET replies to the
group, rather than to the person posting the TARGET. Please send your
comments and information to the person who requests it, NOT to the entire
group. Here is how TARGET/HIT is supposed to work.

TARGET/HIT->  AN LM_NET DISCUSSION TOOL

   Your LM_NET moderators recommend an very effective way to focus our
   discussions, and make them more valuable in the process.  This may seem
   a bit more formal that is common on most groups, but it will serve us
   well as we grow (we now have more than 11,000 people reading LM_NET.)
   We recommend that members specifically TARGET-> their queries, and use
   a HIT-> summary to share their responses received.

   That is, when someone wants information about a topic (e.g., online
   catalogs), they should ask for people to respond to them directly, and
   after a period of time, post a summary or compilation of responses. The
   originator of the TARGET-> question uses that term in the subject line of
   the initial question that is posted to the entire group.

   For example,  "TARGET-> Choosing Online Catalogs - November 2001." would
   appear in the subject line of the message.  In the body of the message the
   person might say something like the following:
     "Hi, this is Mike Eisenberg.  I would like to TARGET-> Choosing Online
   Catalogs.  I'd like to find out how others on LM_NET are choosing their
   Online Catalogs.  If people will respond to me, I'll compile your

   Then, when enough responses are collected, the originator summarizes
   or compiles the responses, and posts the summary as a HIT->
   so everyone on the list can read, _if_ they are interested. This is a
   terrific way to add value to the list. Be sure to restate your original
   request at the top of the Hit, so that readers will quickly understand
   the purpose of the Hit.

   E-mail addresses: If you plan to include the names and e-mail addresses
   of those who reply, state it in your Target (e.g., "I will include your
   e-mail address in my Hit. Please let me know if you wish to remain
   anonymous.") This will give the person the option, and may result in
   more replies to your Target. Remember, all LM_NET messages are sent to
   a public archives which may be accessed by anyone.

   The TARGET/HIT-> approach is particularly effective when someone has a
   specific question that needs a variety of suggestions, experiences,
   practices or sources.  It is not _always_ appropriate.  The intent of
   TARGET/HIT-> is to make LM_NET more valuable to its growing list of
   members.

SUMMARY:  TARGET/HIT-> is a four-step process:
   1.  The TARGET-> originator proposes the subject for answering/commenting.
       i.e., TARGET-> Choosing Online Catalogs.
   2.  Those interested in the subject send their responses to the
       _originator_ of the TARGET-> question. Please do NOT post the
       response to the group.
   3.  TARGET-> originator summarizes or collates the responses, and then,
   4.  Posts the summarized responses to the entire list, using the original
       subject of their message as a HIT->.
       i.e., HIT-> Choosing Online Catalogs.

   Thank you for your support of this process for LM_NET discussions.

Peter Milbury and Mike Eisenberg, LM_NET Co-owners

Peter Milbury, Co-Moderator of LM_NET      pmilbury@ericir.syr.edu
School Librarian - CA TeleMentor              Chico HS, Chico, CA
Now With 11,000+ Members      See: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/