WOW!  What a response!  No one responded negatively to use of audiobooks -- the
research seems to back up use of audiobooks as a plus for low socio, Hispanic, ESL,
dyslexic, as well as reluctant readers (which tend to be male).  Most respondents
said they checked out audiobooks like they did
regular books, several said they also provided either cassette players or CD
players, and most ordered audiotapes of books they have on the shelves.  A few
still only checked out to teachers, or by request of parents.

I have deleted e-mail addresses of some of the responses -- here is a "smattering"
of what I received.  I most definitely will pursue use of audio books, and
hopefully will be able to apply for a grant for a "beginning collection" --
possibly with a sister middle school in my district -- wish us
luck!

 *******

I also have a personal experience with audiobooks. My daughter was at 4th grade
reading level when she started 6th grade and she failed the reading TAKS in 5th
grade. During her 6th grade year, we started listening to audiobooks during our
commute and she would follow along with the audio with a
paper copy of the book. In 6th grade, she was not only passed the reading TAKS, she
almost scored commended. And now, in 7th grade, her last STAR test was on grade
level.

*****

I have a small collection of audio books in my 5th grade school and I am expanding
it for next year.  I allow students to check them out just as they check out books
and have had few problems.  I have noticed lots of students finding the
corresponding books and checking them out at the same time.
Teachers also check out to use when they are doing a read-aloud.  I have ordered
both cassettes and CDs since kids seem to have access as easily to CD players as to
tape players.

I started an audiobook program this year and have had great success with
both MS and HS students.  Students who have dyslexia, special ed students,
alternative ed. students, reluctant and slow readers have greatly benefited
from our audiobook program.  I have many success stories.  I have one 8th
grade boy (special ed) who read beginning chapter books from the elementary
section (we are k-12 library) last year and couldn't pass the AR test. He
"read" 19 books and never passed one test. This year he has read 24 books
and passed 24 tests. He read AND LISTENED to the Shiloh trilogy, The
Magician's nephew and Ghost Canoe and made 90s or 100 on all of them. Then
he read 17 of the Stone Arch books that are easy short chapter books with
large print without audio and made all 100s and 90s except for 2 80s.  He
really enjoyed those and wanted to read without help. He wanted to read and
listen to Dragon Rider and did just that over about a 4 week period.  He
made a 95 on the test.  We were all thrilled and so was he.  He had made
324% of his goal for last 6 weeks.  He is currently reading The Merchant of
Death (Pendragon 1).  This student's problem was that he could not attend to
the book and found too many distractions in the classroom when he read.  He
uses headphones or earbuds, listens and follows along in the book

*****

I check them out as I do a book. They have really turned some of my
students on to reading. I would suggest purchasing some of the
Playaways; you don't have to worry about losing one of the tapes and
they are about the same price. There is not as wide a selection as the
regular books on audiotape, though.

When I first started buying audiobooks, it was at the
request of our student services teacher. She wanted
audios of the books students were reading in class.

We quickly discovered that they were a hit with
everyone, so I expanded the collection. They circulate
for 3 weeks - same as books. I recently purchased
cheap tape players that also circulate, as many
students no longer have them. I now only buy audios on
CD or playaways.

ersions of all the books that I know the teachers use with their
classes, so they can use them in class.

On my website I have a list of the benefits of children listening to
audiobooks. Feel free to use it in writing your grant, and/or share
it.
http://www.bookwink.com/wink_audio_books.html

******

'm in a HS but, we recently bought a lot of audiobooks and we started with the
titlles that are used as classroom novels. We check them out ask regular books. The
teachers are very pleased with this because it is very beneficial to reluctant and
struggling readers. We also have a lot of ESL kids in
our school and the audiobooks help them as well.

Thanks for all the responses -- this online group of various librarians is the best
of the best to learn from -- I appreciate y'all!

Betty Copeland, MLIS
 Librarian
Dahlstrom Middle School
Buda, Texas 78610