Hello group - there was a post earlier (see below) regarding the purchase of
new TVs, etc. but it reminded me of something I meant to bring up a couple
of weeks ago.

I listened to a show a couple of weeks ago regarding something about analog
TVs are going out and everyone will be required to broadcast using new,
updated technology - (digital, HD?). (I think it was a PBS show, but not
sure as I was doing something else at the same time.)

Anyway, they were saying that it was some kind of new rule that the networks
have to do before too long and that it will force people to buy new TVs in
order to view all programs.  They then said that there might be a "box" of
some sort that people not able to buy new TVs could purchase to change the
new output back to analog, but that it won't be a picture worth watching.

At the time, I began thinking that all the old TVs in my school will
definitely have to be replaced.  This might be something to think about now
for those of you purchasing new TVs.  Thing is - I don't remember the
deadline year for this to take place - sorry.  If anyone else heard about
this, could you correct me if I'm wrong, or add info that I'm missing?

Peggy Page, Librarian
ppage@aircanopy.net
West Main Elem.
Lancaster, TX

Subject: Gen: DVDs vs. VHS, TVs etc.

We are gradually changing from VHS to DVD. What do you recommend - should we
purchase TVs with VHR/DVD included or go with separate units. Most of our
TVs don't have the necessary connections for DVD players and getting an
adapter requires using 3 outlets and the carts only have 2.
Also, if we own the VHS tape can we legally copy it to DVD format? I am
thinking - NO.
Thanks,
Gail Wood, Librarian
East Side Elementary