Fellow Librarians,

I need advice, feedback, help!  Last year we divided
our K-8 school into two schools: K-5 and 6-8. We moved
our middle school students to another middle school
this year while our new building (which will
eventually accomodate grades 6-12) is being renovated.
As librarian of this new school, I will have a brand
new, beautiful media center.  It is also very small.
I am now downsizing our collection.  Designed as more
of a virtual library than a book collection, this
media center probably represents the wave of the
future.  We will have adequate books for our school
population and plan to supplement with classroom sets
of books. (Our school population will top out at 500
over the next four years.)
Does anyone have a similar situation...a small media
center heavier on technology? I would be interested in
hearing tips on how you carry out library programs,
what types of lessons you teach besides the usual
website evaluations and database explorations, how you
use library space to the best advantage, etc. Also,
with a smaller collection, how do you supplement
materials students and teachers need and you don't
have?  Do you borrow from other libraries?
I would also like to hear from librarians who have had
to drastically downsize their collections in order to
move into a smaller space.
  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please
respond directly to my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance for your collective knowledge!

Sydney Minter, LMS
Achievable Dream Academy
726 16th Street
Newport News, VA 23607