From: "Michele Nokleby" <mnokleby@GMAIL.COM>
To: <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:27 PM
Subject: GEN: Book It Program Criticism

My local newspaper also carried the article criticizing the Book-It program.
I have been the school coordinator for the program for many years, and so I
will admit I was a little defensive.  One of the criticisms is that the
program encourages obesity.  I must disagree.  If anything, the program
encourages families to view a visit to the pizza parlor as a special
celebration. Eating a small pizza once a month is not what causes obesity.
Any
dietician would confirm this.

Another complaint that was made in the article was that the program was an
insidious infiltration of corporate marketing into our schools.  I like to
think that the children in our schools should be receiving the message that
reading is valuable and rewarding from *more* entities (corporate or
otherwise) not fewer.

Of course, Pizza Hut is probably hoping that an adult would buy at least one
entrée for each child earning a free personal pan pizza, but it is certainly
not required.  One teacher I know takes the students who earn a pizza out to
lunch so that they may use their certificates with other classmates.  This
is a huge incentive for his students to spend time reading.

--
Michele Nokleby
Hawthorne Elementary School Librarian