First, let me say thank you to those who took the time to offer support
and suggestions.  Several people asked that I send the group an update,
so here goes...

The school board meeting was packed with honor students and their
parents.  The kids did a great job of speaking up for themselves and the
issue has been added to the agenda for next week's board meeting for
further discussion.  The HS principal was directed to provide the
research that supports this concept to the board for the next meeting.
My daughter and another parent also requested this research, so I will
be very interested to see what he comes up with.  I have not been able
to find anything in my searches.

When asked, the principal said one of the things that prompted this
idea was a comment made by a problem student.  This child said that he
thought he would get into less trouble if he was in classes with
smarter, more well-behaved kids.  So, we make decisions based on the
comments of one problem child???  Move that kid and see what happens.
Don't take something away from my child.

One of the board members was visibly upset by the idea and mentioned
that this is a curriculum decision that must be board approved, not
something the principal can institute himself.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the next meeting, but my
daughter intends to go, so I'll pass along any new information that
comes out.

Thank you again for your support

Molly

Molly Clark
Intermediate Librarian
Michael Maroun Elementary School
Phoenix, NY
mclark2@phoenix.k12.ny.us

"What a school thinks about its library, is a measure of what it thinks

about education."  Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education