Here are the answers I've received so far on this.  If others come in, I
will post a Hit: part 2.    Thank you all

Original Post:

One of our campuses is considering doing a summer reading program at
school.  This is a 1 - 4 grade campus.  What great ideas for summer
programs do you have?

Our district usually supports the Texas State Library Summer Reading
Program.  They provide all materials for free.  Here*s their website:
http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/trc/
I run the summer program at my elementary school with
support from our HS/Community Library. For the first
15 minutes I do a skit and explain about the day. I
have 4 stations. One is book check out, one is snack
where I read a story to the kids while they eat or
whatever I decide to do here...sometimes it is a game
that goes with the theme.  3rd/4th stations are
crafts.  I try to put the kids into even groups and
they rotate through each station.

Do you plan to do an actual formal reading program like the PL does? If
so, maybe you can use the materials from the State Library.  A simple
*program* I have done when we didn*t have a PL was just to do a
reading challenge*I think it was to read at least 1,500 pages.  The kids
kept a log and had to return it when school started. They received a
certificate and the top readers earned a prize (book from Book Fair).

Betsy Ruffin
librarian-technologist
Cleburne ISD
Cleburne, TX

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us
with floaties and teach us how to swim."
Linton Weeks
(Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)
It is the policy of Cleburne ISD not to discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, gender or handicap in its school programs,
services, or activities.