Thanks to the folks who replied to this - I will pass them along to my young
friend...

Here's the original post:

I just had a student ask me if there a FREE way to find his dad on the
internet. He knows his name, age, and the previous cities he has lived in.
Any suggestions? I'll post a hit. TIA.
--
And the replies:

Not with any certainty. There are several sites that will let you search
for a particular name, but sometimes the data is several years old. I
looked myself up a couple of years ago, and found I was still living in
Concordia, MO. I actually left there in 1998.
---

There is no  FREE way to do this that I know of. I would also be careful of
getting involved in this.
__

Our public library provides a link to Reference USA
http://www.referenceusa.com/  and it is free to access through our public
library.    It is a compilation of addresses and phone numbers from around
the country using phone books.  I have found an old college friend using
this site, so I believe it does work very well.  Does your public library
offer a similar service?
__

I don't know if this site will help your student, but thought I would
pass it on.  http://www.plumsite.com/isrr/
__

www.att.com/directory <http://www.att.com/directory>  is the online phone
book.  Usually, even if you put in a specific city/town, it picks up the
surrounding areas as well. He might also find the websites for the county
tax assessors office for the most recent place his father lived.  You can
look up property by last name.  If his father owns real estate, this will
give him the address.

These are the only free ones I know.. There's a cheap one at
www.publicdata.com <http://www.publicdata.com>  but he'd have to have a
credit card. Public Data, though, accesses drivers license and voter
registration info for about half the states.
__

www.searchbug.com

or put his name in google.
__