This was a brief thread a couple of weeks ago; the response is delayed because I
needed some time to think about what I wanted to say and also because the library
has been VERY busy (a good thing!).

  I watched this video with great interest hoping that there would be some truly
innovative suggestions for using technology in the classroom.  To say that I was
greatly troubled by its message is an understatement.  Was this video funded by
Apple or Microsoft?  The quote about “richness”, after all, was from Bill Gates.
I think these so called “digital learners” (who decided that?) are better
classified as “digital players”.  So our coming college graduates will have spent
10,000 hours playing video games, another 10,000 on their cell phones, and 20,000
hours watching t.v.?  That’s not even including the time spent on computers.  To
that I say:  so what?  Is this a good thing?  That’s 40,000 hours (really more) of
their young lives that they are spending NOT interacting with other people
face-to-face or taking a walk in the woods, or playing an impromptu game of
basketball with their friends.  I think that’s TRAGIC.  And we want to ADD to those
hours by bringing the
 technology they play with into the classroom?  And that’s the thing we need to
realize:  because kids have been given the freedom without the responsibility,
computers, Ipods, cell phones are playthings first, tools second.  When we come to
the end of our lives, will any of us look back and say, “Gee, I wish I’d watched
more t.v. or talked more on the phone.”

  When I design a lesson, the question in the forefront of my mind is:  what is the
student learning?  The suggestion provided in the video of using text messages to
find what someone had for breakfast, what the weather was like, and what was the
last thing he/she purchased is a perfect example.  Excuse me, but this is
learning??  Even barring the question of who’s paying for all this text messaging,
can anyone really call this knowledge?  Statistics are still meaningless when the
information is meaningless.  And, whatever technology we add to our classes,
something else has to go.

  “There are 2.7 billion searches per month.  To whom were these questions
addressed B.G.?”  This claim implies that the students are searching for meaningful
knowledge on their own.  But let’s face it: students aren’t looking up the reasons
for the latest crisis in Darfur , they’re looking up cheat codes for video games!

  “If you can’t reach your students by speaking directly to them, teach via
podcast.”  Without getting into the insulting inference of that statement, sure,
teachers could make podcasts of their lectures…but if that happens, where will be
the incentive for students to come to class?  Furthermore, this only engages audial
learners.

  When did this change in our culture occur, that whatever kids are “into” we need
to bring into our classroom?  As an educator, my philosophy is that I should expose
them to new ideas  - ideas they are not getting outside of academia.

  And when did things change that now the burden is 100% on us to “reach” and
“engage” students?  What about the students’ role in this?  Isn’t learning to
connect with adults their responsibility?  It’s called growing up!

  “Engage them don’t enrage them.”  Has our culture become so child-centric that we
are afraid of boring them – afraid of showing that it’s cool to be an adult and
that sometimes life isn’t exciting (and that’s what makes the exciting times so
much sweeter!)  If education is going to become a dog and pony show, where we feel
like we have to be stand-up comics to attract their attention, if shallow,
pop-culture trivia is the way of our future, then I’m not sure I want to be a part
of that.

  So, no, I will not bring Ipods or cell phones or most of the other suggestions
into my teaching arena!  Technology has a place, but that place is limited.
Despite the fact that technology has improved certain aspects of our lives, I feel
like, in a way, it has taken the soul out of Life.  There’s a new commercial from
Dow about the addition of the “human element”.  Well, that’s what is missing from
most of these technologies.  They have allowed us to live in an unreal world,
without actually having to look another person in the face.  And we are not our
true selves in that world.

  Dorothy Scanlan
  Librarian
  St. Paul's School for Boys