"basics" of how they work and proper blog behavior.  I'd also like to be able to
show some that have been in progress as examples.  I cannot access any site with
the word 'blog' in it due to our internet filter.  I am able to run a blog through
my webpage at www.myteacherpages.com
<http://owa.cliu.org/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.myteacherpages.com>
without being blocked.  I was wondering if anyone else uses this site for their own
webpages and blog?  I would be able to access your webpage and then link into your
blog.  If you use this site and have a blog set up, would you mind sharing?
----------------------
Not many responses, but here's what did receive:
We're using the message board feature of My Teacher Pages for 6-7-8 summer reading
think I can give out the password.

Teachers post starter questions and will monitor over the summer. Students can post
without having the message screened, but teachers can take down inappropriate or
redundant messages. We've done this in the past using other services.

I had a Family Reading one set-up last fall, but did not password protect it. I had
to take it down after some long rant on Afghanistan. Haven't gotten around to
putting it up again - with a password.
----------------------
I have a blog for students on my site that does not use the word "blog," so you can
access it to show your students.  It is a place where they share books with other
students.  We use School Center here for our webpages and a blog page is a feature
I had a choice of adding to my site.  You can find it on my webpage by clicking on
"Book Talk!" in the menu on the left side of the page.  I just started it in
February.  There are around 50 comments on it so far.  Sometimes the students
comment on a book someone else has written about and sometimes they write about a
book no one has written about.
P.S.  The way my blog is set-up, all submissions have to be approved by me before
they are posted.  My students know that I will not change their words as long as
they are writing about books, but I will fix their capitalization, spelling and
punctuation since the site is open to everyone and they wouldn't want their friends
or family, much less strangers, to see that they spelled "cool" "coll" or "awesome"
"owsum" or didn't know to put a question mark at the end of a question. The only
time I reject submissions is when they don't have anything to do with books ("I
love you T.J.! Will you marry me?").  As soon as I got my first "I love you..."
comment I let everyone know that I can always trace where the comments came from
through the administration's computer system (only true if they do it from school
on their personal login, but I don't give them that detail).  That nipped any
inappropriate comments as well as comments written by one person but signed by
another - that's what had happened with the "I love you..." comment.  Good luck!
-------------------------
We use School Center and I don't think it would block it as our filter at school
blocks the other sites but mine works fine. Although I'm just starting mine, don't
know what I'm doing yet with it, it's very basic and doesn't have any catagories (I
can't figure that part out yet and we haven't had any training on it!)

Thanks to everyone who responded!  It's always fun to try something new!
Susan

Susan Hanlon
K-4 Librarian
Northwestern Elementary School