As President of the Long Island School Media Association, I was asked to share the
information below.

Rita Kaikow
Oceanside High School Library
Oceanside, NY

The Long Island Coalition Against Censorship is an association of 22 educational
and community organizations (17 are libraries and professional library
organizations). The goal of the Coalition is to protect the First Amendment and to
challenge censorship in school, public and college libraries. It would be
appreciated if you would share the following information via your list serve with
your members.

"Censorship in Schools and Libraries" exhibit  available from the Long Island
Coalition Against Censorship.

In planning an exhibit for Banned Books Week in the fall or at another time of the
2007-8 school year, you might wish to consider displaying the new edition of our
exhibit, "Censorship in Schools and Libraries.

The exhibit presents 32 illustrations of censorship each one approximately 11" x
14" with accompanying text that is 11" x 14." The history of censorship in public
schools and libraries highlights incidents of censorship that have occurred in the
United States during the last 150 years. Included are descriptions of the
censorship of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, In the Night Kitchen, The Catcher in
the Rye, and the novels of Judy Blume and Chris Crutcher. U.S. Supreme Court
decisions (including the landmark school case in the Island Trees School District)
and lower court decisions are an integral part of the exhibit.

The 2007 edition includes efforts to censor the popular Harry Potter's children's
books (Harry Potter books were burned in Alamogordo, New Mexico) and the novels of
Chris Crutcher. Besides new cases, there is an update of censorship incidents in
school and public libraries that occurred since 1990. Quality copies have been
reproduced which may be readily presented on poster boards in libraries and then
retained as a reference source. If your space is limited, we suggest that you
rotate the panels during the time the exhibit is on display. Excerpts from the
exhibit are on our web site www the-licac.org. Click on Exhibits, "Censorship in
Schools and Libraries" and excerpts. The cost of the exhibit including mailing
charges is $38.00 postpaid by check. For further information our e-mail address is
coalcen@juno.com or call (516) 944-9799.

Donald Parker, Co-coordinator Long Island Coalition Against Censorship