Here's what I received and my thanks to all.   If any other suggestions come in, I
will post a hit: part 2

My advice to anyone moving a collection is to WEED extensively!
Box them in boxes in the order they go on the shelves.  When I did this
for a middle school and high school, I was able to take the books for
the high school on carts and they were intershelved immediately from
there.  I downloaded the records onto disks and the high school
librarian uploaded them to her database and her aides shelved the books
as soon as they could.  The middle school books were boxed according to
Dewey and a disk was put in the box with the records for that box of
books.  That way she could do those books a box at a time or several
boxes at a time as her schedule allowed.  Good luck!  This is not an
easy job.  At least you had help.  I split my collection by myself.
(Someone suggested to me at that time that I use shrink-wrap to wrap the
books in Dewey order.  Maybe that is another idea you could consider.)

Weed, weed, weed,  Don't move any book that should be tossed.

 I used colored circle stickers - one color for each school that
would receive the selected books. First I went through the collection
myself and determined where books would go by placing a color sticker
on spine of each book. Then I had help picking those books off the
shelves to be put in respective boxes (trying to maintain consecutive
order) to be marked with the Dewey on the boxes traveling to respective
school. Contact me if you need more information. The process is
obviously long and a little worrisome.
From Betsy:
My elementary library partner and I (we oversee 7 campuses) are pulling items for a
new campus with no opening day collection funds.   We are working with the 3
largest collections to pull items.  We started by weeding.  Then we began the
pulling by finding duplicates; next was items from area with several titles on that
subject or by that author.  We are loading records into an older library program
and working with them to ready them for when the library program is purchased for
the new campus.  We've run shelf lists and are now to the point where we are
checking to see what areas need items.  We may use one of the library vendor report
programs to help (such as Titlewise from Follett or Benchmarc from Sagebrush).

Betsy Ruffin
librarian-technologist
Cleburne ISD
Cleburne, TX
betsy.ruffin@cleburne.k12.tx.us

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties
and teach us how to swim."
Linton Weeks
(Washington Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)
It is the policy of Cleburne ISD not to discriminate on the basis of race, color,
national origin, gender or handicap in its school programs, services, or activities.