Well, we are all set with the library web page set for students' home
page, and I am made to look like I know much more than I do.  Actually,
thanks to all of you, once again, I really now do know more than I did!
I am copying all responses for those of you who requested a HIT.
Thanks, Betsy, for posting to your tech. listserv, that's what did the
trick for us, and thanks for the "Kids come first" comment!!!  Lots of
folks suggested switching to Firefox in addition to what follows:

I passed your question on to a technology listserv I am also on.  Here
is reply number one.

http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

This is the script patch that was on the Microsoft forum help page in
response to the following posted problem:

I have specified my Home Page settings in IE Internet Options and in the
Group Policy settings, and it still won't apply the change.

I have specified in Group Policies that "Disable IE external branding"
and I still get MSN as my home page.

I have browsed the registry and did not find the key for Internet
Explorer Default Home Page.  I created one, and applied it.... and still
no go.

Maybe this will fix the problem, if you can get this to your esteemed IT
department (to push down).

Don

 Kids Come First!

Since I am running IE7 and not having that problem you are not getting
the help you need.  Have you been to Microsoft's update site and looked
for help?  I know we had to do a special up date to take care of
Daylight Savings time.

Just use a group policy to set the computer's default homepage.  Also,
you can make all the changes needed to one account, then copy that
user's ntuser.dat file and paste it in the default and all users folder.

If you are using windows 2003 servers on the network you can use a Group
Policy to change this.  This link
http://www.mattbrindley.com/misc/fixing-the-ie7-run-once-proble/ tells
where to change the run once feature in IE.  Other than that IT can go
to each machine and run GPEDIT.MSC and do the change locally on each
machine if it is a Windows xp machine.

Your tech people are correct - if they are deploying the straight out of
Redmond version of IE7 than anyone can download.

BUT - what they need to be doing is customizing your district's version
just like some ISPs do. The product is IEAK 7 which stands for Internet
Explorer Administration Kit  and Group Policy which is free from MS for
network admins of all types. Take a look at

this is the download link but be very sure to read the documentation you
will also find there http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219543.aspx
For even more info just type IEAK7 into Google. That's how I found the
links for you.

I haven't used IE 7 yet - our district is waiting for it to stabilize
first <-g->. IEAK 6 was pretty complicated to set up. I strongly suggest
working with a friendly techie who knows your network setup well.

As another alternative - have you thought about using Firefox instead?

Again, thank you all for your generosity with help, advice, and time.

Eileen Culkin, Librarian
Inter-Lakes Jr. Sr. High School
Meredith, NH
"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution,
man. I wouldn't mess with them." Michael Moore