I didn't receive as many replies as I thought I would, but here are the
replies I have received so far.  If I get more as a result of this hit, I
will post again.

Thank you to all of you who made suggestions.  For those of you who didn't
see the original post, I have included it at the end.

Again, thanks!

-------------------------------------
Kelly Stern
Teacher Librarian
Cedar Falls High School
Cedar Falls, Iowa
sternk@cedar-falls.k12.ia.us
______________________

I have a page of free online office and productivity apps at:
http://www.setoncchs.com/library/office.htm
and a selection of "best of" and other good download sites at:
http://www.setoncchs.com/library/computer.htm#down

Personally, I don't know what I'd do without :
- Opera (browser)  http://www.opera.com/
- Firefox (browser) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
- Notetab Pro (editor) http://www.notetab.com/
- Irfanview (image viewer/optimizer) http://www.irfanview.com/
- Bloglines (feed reader) http://www.bloglines.com
- Diigo (bookmarking/noting) http://www.diigo.com/
- Paint.net (free image and photo editor)
[ http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html ]http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

--------

For a very comprehensive list of the free Web 2.0 applications see
[ http://www.shambles.net/web2 ]http://www.shambles.net/web2

and for the more traditional free software see
[ http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/freesoft/
]http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/freesoft/

--------

I frequently use Google documents and spreadsheets ([
http://docs.google.com/ ]http://docs.google.com/).~ Both of these programs
work much like Microsoft's versions but they reside on the web.~~ So, I
can access them from anywhere with an internet connection.~ The programs
also allow you to collaborate with others, that you can allow others to
edit/change the document or spreadsheet.

--------

Here's a helpful little item I found while investigating open source
software.  It's called Stickies and it is a program to create electronic
sticky notes on your desktop.  URL is
http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/index.html

--------

A great place to start is the growing suite of Google applications. They
can
be found most easily by going to
http://www.google.com/educators/tools.html or
http://www.google.com/intl/en/options/ for an even larger selection.

I enjoy this question a great deal. In fact, I've even written a book about
it for ISTE called 101 Best Websites for Teacher Tools and Professional
Development. For more information, you can go to
http://www.iste.org/eseries/source/orders/isteProductDetail.cfm?product_code=101tea

--------

Probably my favorite tool for free software. . . if you've dreamed of
it. . . you'll find it here http://www.go2web20.net/

--------

I've just begun using Wink at http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
It has been great for creating computer tutorials for students and
teachers. They much prefer the ones that I create keeping their needs in
mind rather than any other online help features. It can produce
shockwave flash files, pdf, exe and html.

--------

And the original post was:

Last year around this time, someone posted a target asking about your
favorite free software tools available online.  I found the hit list so
valuable that I would like to pose the question again, since lots of new
stuff has been created in the last year.  So, what are your favorite
online software programs, production tools, and virtual communities that
have educational applications?  I know about Open Office
http://www.openoffice.org/ (similar to the Microsoft Office suite, but
free on the web), Blogger https://www2.blogger.com/start and other
blogging tools, Second Life http://www.secondlife.com/, and others, but I
know that there are probably other great free tools that I have not found.
 Please reply to me directly and I will compile responses and post a hit.

Thank you for your help!

--
Email scanned by DoubleCheck
http://www.nmgi.com/doublecheck/