Good morning,

There is a "scalp belt" in CADDIE WOODLAWN,
a popular and award winning children's work of
historical fiction.  But the problem is, my research
so far indicates there is or was no such thing as a
"scalp belt."

At this point, I think it is just another "Indian" thing
a white author (or her source, which in this case is
Carol Ryrie Brink's  grandmother) made up for a story.

Trouble is, I wonder if all the kids who read that
book think that a "scalp belt" is a real artifact?!

I talked about CADDIE WOODLAWN and "scalp belt" at
a Native Studies conference I've been at the last
few days. I will keep looking, but I will note that
there were many Native historians at the conference,
and the term was unfamiliar to them. Maybe I'll find
"scalp belt" in old newspapers? Maybe it's origins
are in propaganda columns of the day?

Here's posts this past week to my blog
American Indians in Children's Literature
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com
Have a good week!

Debbie
--------------------

Monday, April 30
Kids and Joy Harjo's GOOD LUCK CAT

Tuesday, May 1
Tim Tingle's CROSSING BOK CHITTO wins book award

Wednesday, May 2
Joseph M. Marshall's HOW NOT TO CATCH FISH
AND OTHER ADVENTURES OF IKTOMA

Sunday, May 6
The "scalp belt" in CADDIE WOODLAWN

Debbie A. Reese (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu