I am looking for a good suggestion for monitoring time when students come to
the library for independent use.  What do you do to make sure students don't
camp-out for an hour and do nothing?

I am the librarian at a PreK4 -12th grade school with almost 1400 students
and I have one assistant.  I love my job and have few student problems, but
there are times when my assistant and I are both busy with students, and it
seems that it is when independent users are overlooked.  We do not have a
large facility, so it's not that they hide.  And I'm not referring to
students who cause trouble (they are sent back immediately). Our problem is
we lose track of who has been in the library for how long and some students
stay for TOOOOOOO long.

A part of me is old-school enough to feel that the students need to be
responsible for their own time.  If they are missing a crucial part of
class, then the natural consequence is that their grades will suffer.  But
as we all know, there are teachers who expect me to be the time-police.

With daily scheduled classes for elementary grades, three middle school
teachers that routinely send 5 students per period per day, high school
study periods, and the other everyday happenings in a school library, I need
a better system.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.  I will post a hit if
others are interested.

One idea we had is to purchase 10 (or so) timers and clip passes to them as
students arrive.  Then we would be audibly reminded of who had been here
long enough.  But that may disruptive for other patrons.  What have you
tried that works?

Cindy Rogers, MLS
Librarian
IDEA Public Schools
401 South 1st Street
Donna, TX  78537

School (956) 464-0203 ext. 1126
Fax (956) 464-4137
crogers@ideapublicschools.org
www.ideaacademy.org

IDEA Public Schools are dedicated to providing students with the academic,
social, and leadership skills needed to apply, matriculate, and succeed in a
four-year college or university.