Hello everyone,
  Here is the rest of the titles I received after I posted the first HIT regarding
suggestions for a second grade girl reading at a fourth grade level who also likes
history and strong woman characters. Thanks again for all your suggestions. As
always, this list is such an awesome resource. I'm overwhelmed with the titles.
  Mary

  Mary P. Sundberg, MLS
Poland Elementary
  Poland, NY 13431
  marypsundberg at yahoo dot com

  www.polandcs.org >pcs website >libraries >elementary

  Charlotte suggested:

  Would she be interested in reading Louisa May Alcott? Little Women comes to mind.
  I'm not sure the level, but The Matchlock Gun is history and not as long as
Little Women. Bill Wallace isn't history, but he writes outstanding books set at
4th grade level. They're not all history, but she might give Buffalo Gal a try. I
know it's been reviled, but The Ransom of Mercy Carter is a possibility as well.

  Malin from Sweden:

  In addition to the many good suggestions you have already received,
maybe she would enjoy "The Cabin Faced West" by Jean Fritz (and by all
means other titles by Fritz, since she enjoys history). It is set back in
the mid-1700's or so when the area around Pittsburgh, PA was "the wild
west", far beyond civilization... An added bonus is that this is the
story of the author's own great-great-grandmother, and the part about
George Washington dining with the family is supposed to be true.

And, as a Swede I of course have to ask, has she read any books by
Astrid Lindgren? She might like to find out about what life was like for
kids in the Swedish country side a hundred years ago by reading about the
children of Noisy Village for instance, or she might enjoy Emil's
pranks, or those of Mischievous Meg. Or, for some wilder adventures, Pippi
Longstocking of course, and for fantasy, she may enjoy reading about
Ronia, the robber's daughter, or Mio, or many of Astrid's other stories.

  Betty from OH....

  American Girl's publishing company has a series of girl historical
mysteries, as well as stories about girls form other lands, that she
might like. Check their web site for titles.

  Larnette from VA...

  Would the Little House on the Prairie series be appropriate?

  Mary from CT....

  By Michael Hoeye: The Sands of Time
            Time Stops for No Mouse
             No Time Like Showtime
Avi: Poppy
        Poppy and Rye
        Poppy's Return
        Ereth's Birthday
        Ragweed
        Perloo the Bold

Selden: Cricket in Times Square

Shannon Hale:  Goose Girl
                 Enna Burning
                 Princess Academy
                 River Secrets

Seidler, Tor: The Wainscot Weasel
                       A Rat's Tale
                      The Revenge of Randal Reese-Rat

Rylant: Gooseberry Park

  Sheri from AK....

  How about the Little House books and/or Little Women books?

  Susan from NJ.....

  Don't forget to suggest Ann M. Nartin's The Doll People and the sequel
The Meanest Doll in the World!