These responses characterize the feedback I got re: my dilema.

We have the ABDO set.  I understand what you are saying, but
sometimes I find when working with a set it is a really good time to
reinforce how to read a non-fiction book. Everyone's books look alike,
they all have glossaries or bolded words or indexes or the captions to the
pictures, which have a lot of information, etc. and you can point those
things out to everyone as they are looking at their own book. I know I
oftentimes just assume they know how to read a non-fiction book to get the
most out of it. So that to me is a good reason to have the set. They use
the set first, then kids have to go to alternative sources - I have a
bunch of good websites bookmarked that I show them, I also show them how
to search some of the online databases we have, and then they also can use
the encyclopedias and "other" president books.  The teacher I do this with
is very happy with the process.

I have a set about the presidents for my K-4 library - in the biography section
from ABDO/Checkerboard.  Same for states.  The advantage to having these sets is
that you can teach a research skill  without having to have twenty copies of the
same title since the sets are formatted the same.  I use the state books to teach
parts of a book, index, glossary, contents, headings before the students do
research.  Then everyone is on the same page, literally and getting the same
informational text instruction##

Personally, I would not spend money (and it would be a fair amount of money)
on an area that has a well developed collection.  You may want to check and
see that you have every president (that none have been lost) and then let
her know..."I have looked at the collection and we have titles for each
president.  Therefore, I cannot warrant a purchase of a set at this time."

You're in something of a dilemma here all right.
Collaboration is important but if your suspicions are
correct, acquisitions might not be doing the kids any
favors.  Difficult question, indeed.  Good luck.##

The third graders are just learning the process, where the fifth graders should be
able to find things in other sources more easily. So, in my opinion, the set is
good for a realistic research process for third grade students who will also use
encyclopedias, both print and online, almanacs, and a variety of other resources
for their research. For my fifth graders, I have higher expectations, so I am less
likely to hand them a book and tell them that they can find everything there. As
for the presidents series, ours were a donation, for which I am glad, because they
are rarely used.##

You don't say what kind of communication you have with this teacher, but perhaps
this could be an opportunity to engage in a conversation about this particular
research project. I wouldn't just go off and buy a set of books. I think I'd begin
by talking with the teacher about what she is hoping the students will learn; how
much detail she'd like them to have; whether or not she really needs all of the
presidents (shelf space concerns as well as money); and perhaps in there you could
slip something about online encyclopedias, or whatever your online resources are.
I'd say that if you have the money and the space and this project gives you an
opportunity to begin planning and working with a teacher, I'd probably do it...
there's also the question of goodwill. (The fact that the teacher asked your aide
rather than you says something, I think -- without knowing the school, I'm not sure
what...) Sounds like you may be able to turn this to your advantage.##

From a teacher's perspective, a "set" of books means that everyone has
access to the same kinds of information about the subject, be it a
president, a bird, a state, etc. From OUR perspective, it sounds like it may
be for a "cut and paste" type of information gathering session, which we
nearly always feel obligated to help tweak in order to make it more
meaningful, and include higher level thinking skills. Of course, fact
gathering at the elementary level is a valid project, but it could become so
much more.   Needless to say, a publisher who creates sets of books have the
most to gain, because rarely do folks just buy part of a set, if it's even
possible. It's probably not a bad thing to have a set for the presidents,
because there are several who would surely get short shrift otherwise. (When
was the last time you saw a really thoughtful bio of Millard Fillmore?)
Depending on the size of the class and the project at hand, it may give more
information at an appropriate level than the encyclopedias. Plus, the kids
can check out the books from the set, but probably not the encyclopedias.##

I would follow up with the teacher and ask what she hopes to do with the
books. It's become quite evident that publishers are heeding state standards
very closely. If you study presidents and states when everyone else in your
state does, the books probably exist at the right level.##

Thanks to all.  These last two really hit the nail on the head.  I've got to dig in
and start some conversations.

Marcia Dressel, K-5 Librarian @ the
Elementary and Intermediate Schools
Osceola, WI