Hello all =- In addition to running the media center, I teach an 8th grade
class.  A few weeks ago, I was instructing them on use of a database and
somehow we got in to a discussion about Hispanics. (The students all called
them Mexicans.)  Well, I was surprised to hear their reaction to that
culture.  Of my 13 students, 10 were very strong in their statements sasying
things like "they don't pay their bills, they are dishonest, I hope they
never come here" etc.  The truth of the matter is that these kids have not
had any personal interaction with any hispanic people - only stories they
have heard about - and I am sure not reliable stories at that.  They think
all of these "mexicans" should go back to Mexico, etc., etc. So, I found Ann
Jarmillo's book La Linea which I am reading aloud daily. They are loving the
book so that is going well.  Now, I would like them to put a face to a
people of this culture.  We are very small, rural, and very white.  This
section that I have now is comprised of students who have had a history of
struggling with reading and writing.  I have 13 kids, 8 girls and 5 boys.
My boys are into sports, 4-wheelers, and some are into farming.  The girls
gravitate to some sports, clothes, makeup, boys.  I would like to find a
group of 13 hispanic 8th graders whowould e-mail my kids a couple of times.
I would use my e-mail address and act as a filter for both e-mails going out
and coming in, since our building doew not allow for students to e-mail.  Is
there anyone out there who would want to try some sort of e-mail activity
during the next couple of weeks?  I hope I get a response, but not too many!
Thanks so much.  I hope I can help build a bridge here.
--
"What a school thinks about its library, is a measure of what it thinks
about education." Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

Beverly Nelson
Media Generalist
Spring Grove Public School
113 2nd Ave NW