Thanks to all who responded to my question about middle school country
books.  Here is what people had to say:

Lerner Publishing has a wonderful set of country books.  My Social
Studies teacher has been bugging me for weeks to purchase the set.  It
comes with a wonderful website that is full of additional information.
It is the Visual Geography Series.  The set has 66 books and costs
$1,382.70.  The oldest copyright date in the set is 2003 and they are
always adding new books to the series.  This set is high on my list, I
just haven't weeded that section yet.

Also, our school is very big on AR and every book in this set is an AR
book.  That is also a big selling point for us.

The Cultures of the World series by Marshall Cavendish is a great set.  We
use them at the high school, even though they are more geared for middle
school.  The students appreciate the comprehensive information presented in
language that is easy to comprehend.  They are used a lot...one teacher even
requires his students to use them, as we stress the importance of
incorporating a wide variety of resources in the research process.

I really like the "Enchantment of the World" series.  However, the
various country titles are updated at different times.  Some will be
ultra current.  Others may be a bit out-of-date.

Please post a hit about this.  Thanks!

Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations
Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Mexican States
Encyclopedia of World Cultures: Junior Worldmark
Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of Canadian Provinces
All published by U.X.L.

Thanks!
Patricia Byrne